Sunday, December 23, 2012

Bride

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Eau Claire to visit our daughter. Even though Central Wisconsin had just undergone a snowy winter storm, we were determined to make the trip. Our girl was graduating from college and we weren't going to miss it!

It's always good to see our one and only daughter but I wasn't feeling very good by the time we got there. It had been a long day. Up at 4:30 for work, a long car ride home and then to Eau Claire, all while battling a nasty cold - I wasn't feeling much like doing anything else that night other than to plant my face in a pillow. That's when I learned we were about to go wedding dress shopping . . . at 8:30 PM.

I probably looked pretty pitiful - slumped in a chair, clutching my box of Puffs like a football. Yet the two lovely ladies that were helping my daughter and wife pick out accessories, kept smiling at me. I twisted around, thinking perhaps Justin Bieber was standing there behind me but he was not. Then it hit me. These two were doing everything in their power to extort as much money as possible from my wallet. And I DO mean extort.

"This ti era makes your daughter look absolutely radiant. Look at how it sparkles! It matches perfectly the glimmer you have in YOUR eyes, sir, when you look at your precious daughter. What do you think sir?"

(sigh)

I was a dead man.

But they were right. Our daughter looked absolutely wonderful in that snow-white dress. Absolutely beautiful and spotless and pure . . .

That's when my mind began to wander, as it often does, to Jesus.

The day before all this dress shopping happened was 12/21/12 - the last day of the Mayan calendar. The day many were saying that the world would come to an end. I didn't really by it. Jesus had already told us that NO ONE would know the day or the hour. And what did the Mayans know about Jesus anyway? But the date, the calendar and the subsequent discussion accomplished a few good things in my mind. It got us talking . . . and it got us thinking . . . about our relationship with God.

You know, WE, God's children, those who have surrendered our lives to Jesus, are supposed to be Christ's "bride" on the day He returns. We are to present ourselves as innocent & pure. Sadly, I feel we have been "anything but" lately. We have spent too much time in a world governed by the evil one. We have "slept around" with other God's (our work, our addictions, our lusts, ourselves) and I am sure our image as a blushing, innocent bride has been tarnished greatly. Yet Jesus still sees some hope for us. He gave up His life for us to show us how muched He loved us.

I for one have decided that I am going to try living my life for my future husband. That sounds really weird coming from a guy. I'm not one of those "same-sex marriage is ok" kind of guys. I just want to be living a life worthy of Jesus. When he returns, whenever that is, I want to be ready. I want to be worthy.

The beginning of a new year is just over a week away. We are told to keep watch. We are told that Jesus will return like a thief in the night (1 Thes 5:2) - quietly and without warning - for His bride. Will we be ready for Him? Will we be worthy? Sounds like Jesus might have already taken care of that.

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish." - Ephesians 5:25-27 ESV

For you married guys out there, do you remember what the love of your life looked like when she walked down that aisle towards you? Yeah, there were probably things about her that weren't exactly perfect. But on that wedding day, she looked absolutely amazing. She looked beautiful and perfect. And so shall it be with Jesus and us . . . on OUR wedding day. :)

"6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:

“Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. 8 Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.” (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.)" - Revelation 19:6-8

Please listen to this song by Casting Crowns . . . and may God bless.

Wedding Day by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment