Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Carbon

Back in the late 60's, when I was in high school, one of my favorite TV shows was Star Trek. The
special effects were pretty lame compared to those of today but none of us nerds really cared. Star Trek was kind of a cutting edge show in other areas though. It was one of the first television shows to feature an inter-racial cast and was also the vehicle use to present the first-ever inter-racial kiss on television. Shocking!
 
One of the shows main characters was Spock. He was from the planet Vulcan. He had pointy ears and a weird way of saying hello. "Live long and prosper," he'd say as he held his hand up in the traditional Vulcan greeting. I can't tell you how many times I showed that sign to my nerdy friends back in the day. I was pretty weird. WAS? How about a little Vulcan physiology to start you day off with a bang . . . a BIG bang! Ha ha! This picture from the TV show Big Bang Theory . . .
 
Spock was not your typical humanoid. Other than the other obvious feature differences like his pointy ears, Spock's biggest difference, the main difference between ALL Vulcans and us "illogical" earthlings, was that Spock's blood . . . was green. Spock was a copper-based life form. Our earthly bodies, every human, every animal, even the plants, our systems are all based on carbon.
How old do you believe the earth is? NEW earth? Or OLD earth? A simple Google search reveals what "the world" thinks. They say that the earth is 4.54 billion years old. Yet that doesn't seem to line up with the Biblical account, which is more along the lines of 6,000 years.
 
I'm not going to spend time here trying to convince you one way or another. I'll leave that to the experts I have links to at the end of this post. But what I AM going to be discussing today is a more basic concept of Christianity . . . and that is the inerrancy of scripture. Do you believe what The Bible says or not?
 
There are churches who believe that God's Word contains errors and contradictions while others believe it all is God-breathed and that all of it is useful for teaching. I am in the later camp. I believe the Bible is inerrant, without error. I believe God can do anything, even things beyond our imagination. He parted the Red Sea, He stopped rivers from flowing, He created the universe, He caused life to appear in the womb of a virgin. God can go anything!
 
I believe what the Bible says. Who am I that I would doubt what it says. If one part of the Bible is "in error" then what OTHER parts are wrong? No! I take God at His Word. I believe it to be true because God cannot lie. In the very first verse of John we can find some words of truth.
 
"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." - John 1:1
 
When I hear of schools teaching our children that the earth is very old I get concerned. When I hear them teaching that we all came from a random puddle and are descended from apes, I get concerned. I get concerned because these statements are based on theories and not facts. What are we teaching our children? My facts, my truth, comes from God. Like this one . . .
 
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." - Genesis 1:1
 
That works for me!
 
Do you have any questions about your faith that you would like answers to. Search God's Word. Talk to a pastor or one who walks in the ways of the Lord. Here are a few websites that might help, especially GotQuestions.org - answers to questions by a board of pastors.
 
How old is the earth? by GotQuestions.org
 
 
Father, I pray that we depend only upon you. Maybe you be our only source of truth in this world. There are so many "experts" claiming this or that. Maybe we filter through all those and listen only to YOUR voice, God - the Voice of Truth.

Voice of Truth - Casting Crowns

"Live long and prosper" is a wish that can only be accomplished through faith in The One True God. The active word there is FAITH - "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment