Monday, November 11, 2013

Cinderella

The house is quiet now. The sun setting on an amazing weekend that saw our one and only daughter get married and begin a new life with her new husband. It was an amazing weekend, filled with family and friends, several long-overdue conversations and renewed relationships.

As I reflect back on the past 48 hours, there were so many special moments, so many gifts from God, as I like to call them. We as a family have been incredibly blessed. Many family members traveled long distances, simply to spend time with us and our daughter on her special day. That in itself was a very special gift!

It's not like there weren't hurdles to get over or storms to weather along the way. My brother and his wife flew in from San Francisco under less than ideal circumstances. A relative of the groom traveled from Philadelphia. Great personal expense to exhibit their love for the bride and the groom. Amazing.

There were selfless acts of love as spouses sacrificed their own personal enjoyment to stay behind in hotel rooms with sick kids. That is a special kind of love. Awesome! But despite the hard times, we still got through it all . . . because we are a family.

There were a few moments that stuck out in my mind though as I look back on things from the relative quiet of a Sunday night. These moments touched me deeply so I thought I would share all these examples with you, in hopes that you might see God's love from a human view point.

I woke up Saturday morning. REAL early. My dad is an early riser and needs to be supervised because of his Alzheimer's. He has been known to get into a little trouble if left on his own. But Saturday morning was different. He was just sitting there in our living room, crying.

My dad is a proud man. He's the guy who provided for us and took care of us. This is a guy who graduated from college with an engineering degree and designed vehicle seating for trucks, vans, trains and planes. Yet, now, he cannot remember the names of his children. Incredibly frustrating for him. Yet it is an opportunity for others to love him and care for him, sacrificing themselves for someone else. Does that sound like anyone you know? Does that sound like something Jesus did for us on a cross? That is love.

The second story is about my daughter. I had it all together pretty much. All smiles. Not a care in the world. Then, as I was walking our daughter down the aisle, I did something I shouldn't have done. I looked at her. I quickly looked away as the tears of joy began to come. What a beautiful bride!! But the moment that really got to me at the reception was the father-daughter dance. My daughter had selected Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman. Oh my.

As we danced we just talked and we laughed. But in the moments of silence, thoughts our her and our lives together flooded in and it was hard fighting back the tears.

There were several other wonderful moments during the evening. Seeing my father dancing with my mother, dancing with my mom, but I will always remember dancing with my Cinderella.

I think that's how God looks at each of us . . . how he longs to dance with each of us. He has invited us all to the wedding yet some of us refuse to attend. Only those who accept God's offer of grace and forgiveness through His son Jesus will be allowed into the banquet. If you haven't done so already, won't you please consider RSVP'ing today? You will be glad you did.

"And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.”’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests." - Luke 22:1-10

Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman



No comments:

Post a Comment