Saturday, October 11, 2014

Restoration

 
A few weeks ago my beautiful bride and I vacationed in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We stayed in an old lighthouse in Big Bay that had been restored and converted into a bed & breakfast.

The craftsmen that did the work did a good job. Everything worked like it should . . . more or less. I had to remind myself that this was still a working lighthouse and not a resort hotel. The floors creaked. The stairs creaked. Even the innkeeper creaked!!

Some of the room were small. When I sat down on the toilet my knees almost touched the wall in front of me and when they told us that there was a fireplace in our room. It was really IN THE ROOM!!

But it was a lighthouse. It wasn't originally designed to have seven bedrooms in it. The important things were that the plumbing worked, the food was good, and that beautiful old lighthouse had been restored. God is all about restoration too.

I am currently reading through the Book of Psalms. That's a good read, especially after slogging through Numbers not that long ago. Have you read Psalm 23 lately?

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever." - Psalm 23

What an amazing chapter in God's Word! How can anyone read that and not feel comforted.

There are many truth contained in the passage above but the one I would like to embrace today is God's restoration business. God has had a lot of experience at restoring things. He has been practicing His trade with Israel for thousands of years and He can do the same with you and me.

I sit here today at our dining room table, a restored man. God took my old self, gave it a new heart, and restored me to proper working order. I still creak when I walk around, just like that old lighthouse. But my light now works, searchcing this world for lost souls at sea who I can tell about the amazing grace of our Lord and Savior.

Lighthouses serve an amazing purpose. Their whole reason for existing is to warn others about the dangers in this life. So should we be. When we see a friend struggling with something what should we do? Watch from the distance while there lives crash on the rocks below? Or should we shine the light of Christ on them, lead them to the safety of His arms, where He can restore their soul?

God has restored me. I am here to testify the the fact that He can do the same for you. If you haven't allowed Jesus to take ownership of your heart and restore it to proper working order, please consider doing so today. His Holy Spirit will make your light shine, even in the darkest storm. As David wrote in the text above - He restores my soul. Let God restore you today. And is He already has worked His miracle in YOUR life . . . turn on your light and shine as brightly as your can. The world is getting darker and darker with every passing day.

More from the Book of Psalms

"Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!


3 For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and uphold me with a willing spirit.


13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    and sinners will return to you.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
    O God of my salvation,
    and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
    you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."
- Psalm 51:1-17

There are some wonderful restoration videos at I Am Second.

No comments:

Post a Comment