Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thoughts

It's been a while since I have really ranted on this blog. I might do so today . . . but probably not. I'm too nice a guy I've been told. But I AM going to express my frustration with the use of a few words in our "English" language. Or should I say misuse.

The first word is luck. "Good luck!" people say, as if merely saying that "lucky" word will somehow propel the recipient into new prosperity or greater riches. Fat chance! There is no such thing as luck.

And speaking of fat chances, there's another word! Chance! That word actually HAS a use. There are some things that occur by random chance. Rolling dice for example. Every time you roll the dice there is a chance you will get a six. There is the same chance for rolling every other number on the di so is that really a chance?

Back to the word luck for a moment. I was listening to an audio CD of a faith-based novel a few years ago. Someone wished one of the characters "good luck" to which they replied, "We don't DO luck." Implying that they relied on God rather than some random occurrence. I like that.

Here's another word I've been hearing a lot lately - thoughts. Thoughts can be both good and bad. We can have amazingly wonderful thoughts of a loved one or about our God. But we can also have evil thoughts, sinful thoughts.

When my father was dying a few months ago I had some people come up to me and say, "You and your family are in my thoughts." When I hear that, the first thing I think is, "Gee . . . uh, thanks. I guess. Thanks for . . . thinking." It also tells me that there is no faith or belief in a higher being in their lives. No one to give them hope. That's sad.

I know they mean well and I always respond nicely to such comments but their "thoughts" do absolutely nothing, except perhaps for the person thinking them. If someone really wanted to have an effect and do something meaningful, they would pray.

Prayer is a powerful thing. No, that's not right. GOD . . . is the all powerful thing in this universe. Our prayers are pitiful offerings at best, only made meaningful by His Holy Spirit.

"26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." - Romans 8:26-27

When someone prays for me I truly appreciate the effort because I know about the power of prayer in the hearts of true believers. But I think the ultimate prayer has got to be the one you receive when you are telling someone about your troubles face to face, and they offer to pray for you right there on the spot. They take immediate action and live out the "where two or more are gathered in my name" verse. They make praying come alive as they take their friend with them before the Lord in prayer.


So, thank you for your thoughts. But please, care enough to at least TELL me your thoughts and let's do it together in front of God, 'cause frankly, Scarlet, I ain't no mind reader.

The Prayer - Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli

No comments:

Post a Comment