Friday, November 28, 2014

Doom

My wife is about to head out to do her Black Friday shopping. She is not looking forward to going. In fact, she is feeling a sense of doom this morning. She is dreading going yet she feels compelled to go. Why? I think she goes for several reasons.
  1. Our daughter is going along. Mother / daughter time is always a compelling lure for my wife. They enjoy spending time together. Apparently, they SO love spending time together, they would do so in a war zone! And that is what they will be doing today.
  2. Saving money. My wife loves a good deal and is apparently willing to risk life and limb . . . and $20 in gas money . . . to save a buck or two.
  3. My wife hates to waste anything, especially coupons. I blame our daughter-in-law for this, who once told my wife that the coupons actually scream in agony when they expire unused. Sigh.
  4. Escapism. The last thing my wife says before she leaves on such trips is NOT, "I will miss you my honey." It's "Would you please empty the dishwasher while we're gone?" The last word of which nearly getting itself pinched by the slamming of the door.
  5. The sense of adventure. I think it's the women's equivalent of deer camp. There is the pursuit of the trophy - the ten dollars off with a $10 purchase. "I GOT THIS FOR FREE!!"
Life would be so much simpler without Black Friday. People would be sleeping in. Families should be enjoying each others company. This could be a day of calm after overdosing on Turkey, stuffing and football. Instead we shove and push our way through crowds to get the illusive gift that will probably get returned the day after Christmas.

When faced with such decisions in MY life, should I stay or should I go type things, I usually opt for the tried and true, "What would Jesus do?" option. Would Jesus shove His way through a crowd, leaving old ladies strewn in his wake, just so He could life high that $100 flat screen at Walmart? I think not.

What would He be doing instead on such a day as this?

I'd better stop before I get myself in trouble. I can't complain too loudly about my wife's exploits. I am just as guilty as she. As soon as they leave this morning I will watch a little Ravi Zacharias on TV, I will have a leftover Thanksgiving cupcake or two and . . . I will empty the dishwasher. But the thing I enjoy most about Black Friday is the time I get to spend alone . . . with Jesus.

I am reading in the Book of Isaiah today, preparing for the season that is coming. Today I am reading a prophecy about Jesus, written 700 years before He was born . . .

"14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 15 He shall eat curds and honey when he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good." - Isaiah 7:14-15

Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving. May we have a left-over day of thanks-giving today, and every day.

Lord Jesus, I pray for safe travels for my wife and daughter today. I pray your protective hand would be over them as they wade through the crowds far from home. And I pray for myself, that I would honor you today by completing the tasks set before me. And I thank you for the time you and I can spend together - in your word, in prayer . . . and in service, as I empty the dishwasher . . . with a smile. Thank you Jesus. In your Holy Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment