Sunday, December 7, 2014

Lights


Each year, right around this time, I am faced with the task of placing Christmas lights in our front yard and on our house. Then, of course, there is the Christmas tree. Oh, how I dread putting lights on the Christmas tree!
 
Who came up with the idea that the perfect thing to do on a cold, winter’s day, is to literally spend hours decorating the inside and the outside of our houses with lights? The electric company?

The "official reason" is that upper-class people started decorating their Christmas trees back in the 18th century with . . . candles. That couldn't possibly be a fire hazard, could it? The mid-20th century saw Christmas lights spread out of the houses and onto city streets and businesses. Now there are entire displays in parks and botanical gardens featuring MILLIONS of lights. It's spreading!!!

Still, there is something beautiful about a well-decorated and lit up house at Christmas time. Why is that? The only thing that’s different really is the fact that there are now lights where there once was darkness. Now, with all the additional illumination, we can see the things that once were hidden. Like all of the junk I forgot to put away before the snow fell last week.

My wife loves to take drives up and down the city streets during this time of year. She likes to look at all of the Christmas lights on other people's houses. You'd think that would be enough lights for her, but no. WE have to have lights on OUR house as well. The more lights, the better apparently.

I have a theory. I don't think the lights on our houses or on our Christmas tree matter much in God's eyes. I think He would prefer to see The Light within us shining brightly, not the lights in our front yard. 

My wife is doing something neat this year. Maybe you have something like this where you live. It's an opportunity to provide a Christmas for a needy boy or girl. In our town it is called The Miracle Tree. Each year my wife picks out a girl's or a boy's name off a tree at church and then buys a gifts or two for that child. THIS year, however, she has kicked it up a notch. She is going to be providing Christmas gifts for an entire family.

I love my wife.

"16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Do you have people in your life who could use a little extra this Christmas this year? No?

My wife and I have a little running joke. Whenever we find ourselves wondering about the future of our planet, the economy or the future. Somewhere during the conversation that is usually a little prepping humor.

"My next vehicle is going to be a truck. You know. A bug out vehicle!" or "I think we need to build some more shelves in the basement . . . for our stockpile of toilet paper and lard!" We tease each other and joke about it.

The other day my wife said, "I want a goat! We could get our own milk and besides, they're cute!" She was kidding, I think. But I heard something in her voice that told me she would kind of want one. So . . . . that's what I got my wife for Christmas this year - a goat.


Yes, that's right. I bought my wife a goat for Christmas . . . for somebody else through. You can do the same here if you want to.

Compassion International's Gift Catalog.

This is the kind of gift I enjoy giving. A gift that actually helps someone. These days we Americans tend to buy gift cards or give cash so that gift giving will be easier for us. That is SO wrong. Christmas is not about us! Christmas is not about exterior illumination. It's about INTERIOR illumination. Christmas is about Jesus. Christmas is about celebrating the birth of our savior. It is about "being Jesus" in the life of someone else.

That's why I put up the Christmas lights on our house. It's not because I like them , It's because my WIFE likes them.

Shine YOUR light this Christmas!! And remember that "God so loved the world that He gave . . ."

"12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12

Let Your Light Shine In The Darkness -  New Scottish Hymns

No comments:

Post a Comment