Monday, January 19, 2015

Cisterns

Do you know what a cistern is? This definition is from Wikipedia . . .

A cistern (Middle English cisterne, from Latin cisterna, from cista, "box", from Greek κίστη, kistê, "basket") is a waterproof receptacle for holding liquids, usually water. Cisterns are often built to catch and store rainwater. Cisterns are distinguished from wells by their waterproof linings. Modern cisterns range in capacity from a few liters to thousands of cubic meters, effectively forming covered reservoirs.


With that definition in mind, read this verse from the Book of Jeremiah . . .

“My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water" - Jeremiah 2:13

Did anything in that verse sound familiar? Like the two words I highlighted in bold? Read this from The Book of John:


"13 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” - John 4:13-14

More proof that Jesus is God in my opinion. Back to the verse from Jeremiah.What do you think God means when he says that we have dug our own cisterns? The verse sounds like we are trying to find other gods instead of The One True God. Do we do that?

Back in the day people worshiped other gods like Baal, Asherah, Molek, etc. Today we have other gods that people worship - Allah, Buddha. Hindus have thousands of gods? How about you?

What are the cisterns in YOUR life? What do you store up our faith in?

Do you believe in Karma? That is a Hindu or Buddhist belief. If you believe in Karma, can you truly call yourself a Christian? Hmm. I think many people believe that when someone gets what they deserve, it's karma. IS that true?

And what about Yoga. Do you take a yoga class to stretch your muscles and soul? Yoga is a Hindu and Buddhist practice. If a Christian practices yoga is he worshiping another god without even knowing it? SO often we just do things without really thinking.

There is only one source of living water and that is The One True God, Elohim, Yahweh . . . The Great I Am.

I am not a believer in Karma. Nor I do not practice yoga, and I do not believe in "luck." I believe in God. He is the only God in my eyes. The God of The Bible. He is the ONLY source of living water. He is . . . "The Well."

The Well - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment