Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I Saw The Light

My wife struggled for years with her old sewing machine. She'd had it since high school and for the past decade or two she would always come up from her sewing room, frustrated.

A few months ago she brought her sewing machine upstairs to work on a pair of pants for her sister. I watched as she fidgeted with the power cord.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"The light on my machine keeps going on and off. I have to hold the cord just so in order to keep it lit."

"Sounds like you have a short in the wire. I'll be right back."

I went downstairs and got a spare plug, snipped of the old plug and put on the new one and BOOM it was fixed.

My wife was SO excited! She gave me a hug and kept wiggling the sewing machine cord to see if it would go out. It didn't. When neighbors came over she would tell them the sewing machine story.

"For years I struggled with that cord! But then one day Bob saw my struggle and fixed it. I am so glad!!"

If only people were that willing to have someone fix their faith-lives! When I see someone struggling spiritually and try to offer words of wisdom I am often met with the cold shoulder. People just don't want to hear about Jesus. They're too busy struggling with their power cord.

Sometimes we have to get to the breaking point before we are willing to give someone else a chance to fix things. So often that is the case with our stubbornness and The Gospel of Jesus.Christ.

Some people just don't want to hear it. Others simply can't. They have not been chosen.

"44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him." - John 6:44

At the end of the worship service on Sunday the band began playing the old Hank Williams song "I Saw The Light." The pastor walked up and down the aisle, clapping his hands, encouraging others to join in. He came to a man on the aisle who was not clapping. The man had no left hand. Some people just can't clap. Or can they?

The pastor did just what he should have done. He moved on to the next row, still clapping. The on-armed man COULD have slapped his one remaining hand on his thigh but he didn't. Some people not only CAN'T clap, they often just don't want to clap.

What do we do when we encounter people in our lives who simply do NOT want to hear the Gospel?

As sad as it sounds, we have been instructed to move on. There is nothing quite so frustrating as to see someone struggling in their lives and they simply do not want to accept the cure. It is VERY hard to move on. Pray compassionately for them. And never give up hope.

"11 And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it and stay there until you depart. 12 As you enter the house, greet it. 13 And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it, but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. 15 Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town." - Matthew 10:11-15

In the meantime, keep singing God's praises. And be thankful that God has called you! Praise The Lord!! You saw The Light!"

"12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12

I Saw The Light - David Crowder Band

No comments:

Post a Comment