Saturday, May 30, 2015

Stop And Smell The Roses

I went for one of my long walks last weekend. My wife and I are blessed to live right next door to the Ice Age Trail and one of Wisconsin's state parks - Hartman Creek. I am trying to walk as many sections of the Ice Age Trail as I can.

There are many interesting things to see along the trail and I always have my camera with me. I walk and walk and walk but occasionally I will stop along the way to take some pictures.

One of my favorite things to search for during this time of year is the illusive Jack-In-The-Pulpit. They are out there but they can kind of hide amongst the other green spring plants and it's easy to miss them.

On my latest walk I entered an area where I thought I might find some, and I did! There, on the left side of the trail at the base of a tree, sat Mr. Jack. So I stopped and began taking pictures. When I had finished taking pictures of this solitary plant I took a look around. There was another Jack-In-The Pulpit! And another!! There were dozens of them!! What an incredible find!

Recently, I finished reading the Bible for the third time. It was exciting when I got near the end. I was excited! With only a handful of pages left, I told my friend at work how close I was to finishing! I was so excited! Did I tell you how excited I was to accomplish the reading of this magnificent book? I was excited!!

So, my friend says this to me.

"Usually I like to take my time reading through the Bible, study its meaning, and learn all that God wants to teach me."

Ouch.

But my friend was right. I had been so focused in finishing the Bible it is quite possible that I missed the very things that God wanted me to learn. That became doubly apparent after my encounter with my little plant friends. I wonder just how many people passed them by even though they were right there waiting to be seen.

There is so much knowledge and wisdom to be seen in the Bible as well. And this next time through I am going to to stop at the end of each chapter and go back and check out every note in my study Bible. It would be a shame to miss things that might be hidden along my journey through God's Word, even though they were right there to see.

We need to pause as we read the Bible and dig down a little bit. We need to discover those hidden treasures that might otherwise remain out of view. Won't you please join me?

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." - Psalm 119:105

Stop And Smell The Roses - Mac Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment