Monday, October 12, 2015

Broken? Betrayed? Abandoned? - Is This You?

There are days when I feel like nothing is going my way. Do you ever feel like that? We get frustrated with life and we feel like the whole world has left us behind. If that is you, take heart. There are people in this world who are going through far worse things than us.

I don't mean to be mean, but there is definitely a tendency, no, a desire, deep within us to have the world to take pity on us and our current situation . . . whatever it is. We have a need, I think, to be significant or noticed in some way, so we can find some meaning in our lives. Social media has got to be the number one place where people unload all their built up drama and put on display everything "we" find important. Do you know what that's called? Jesus spoke against it many times in His teachings. It's called pride.

"3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." - Philippians 2:3

There is a story in the Old Testament book of Genesis that speaks about someone who was REALLY oppressed. High school drama pails compared to what THIS guy went through. Instead there was hatred, attempted murder, abandonment, being sold into slavery, falsely accused of a crime and thrown into prison. How do those things compare to your common everyday high school drama? This is the story of Joseph.

"3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate robe for him. 4 When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him." - Genesis 37:3-4

If you are discouraged lately or feeling betrayed, persecuted and alone, there is great encouragement we can take from the example of Joseph's life. The story of Joseph (Genesis 37-50) is one that is filled with lies, deceit, hatred and betrayal. But is also filled with encouragement, honor, justice and mercy. And incredible, unconditional love. If one looks closely and meditates of this story and its meaning, it is easy to see a foreshadowing of Jesus, the Christ, in Joseph. I encourage you to read it.

A friend of mine was telling me about a song he was playing repeatedly. The lyrics seemed to fit the story of Joseph. What do YOU think?

"Surrender"

I am tired
I am broken
Unsure at every turn
Though You told me where to go
I lost the road
Been a while since I have heard You
And doubts are creeping in
How can I continue walking on my own?
I need to know you’re here
With me
Cause I become a desperate soul
When Your unfailing love feels far
I need to know You won’t let go
Through it all
You can have my broken heart
Everything that’s left in me
And I will surrender
Surrender, surrender
Your promises feel distant
Though I’ve followed them this far
What is there left to hold on to
When You’re gone?
And it’s hard to keep on breathing
As the question tears my heart
What if I am left to fight this on my own?
I’ve seen the way You love me
I’ve heard the things You say
I’ve felt the way You held me in Your arms

Surrender - Nine Lashes

No comments:

Post a Comment