Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Two-Dimensional Thinking

My wife and I are currently logging all of our radio activity for the Nielsen Radio Ratings company. We're getting paid $10 for logging time and duration of out listening activity. Why anyone would want to know what we listen to and when is beyond me but SOMEBODY wants to know.

And it's not just rating companies. EVERYONE wants to know what we think, what we like, what we're interested in. That's why Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pintrest are so popular. Not only do people wonder what we think, we also love telling them!

Why do we care what other people think? Why does it matter so much. It's as if out human interactions are more important than our relationship with God. He doesn't care what we look like, if we wear the right clothes or have a good complexion. God cares about our souls. Shouldn't we?

I think we spend far too much time thinking "horizontally" instead of "vertically" . . . thinking about God. Try observing your interactions with humans today. How many people are thinking about themselves or their appearance? How many are thinking of themselves? How many are thinking about money? Compare that to how many people are thinking about God in your Facebook news feed.

I conducted a survey of my own today. I scrolled down through Facebook and took a quick survey or people's posts - God vs. man. Here are my results. 75 posts about man, 5 posts about God. Of those five posts about God four were from pages I like. They were not posted by "people." Only one Facebook post offered something about God. Thanks Allex!

Why don't we think more about God than we do? I think it's because we can't see Him and because none of us can totally understand who He is. We think two dimensionally because that's is the world we live in for the most part. Thinking vertically requires faith and we tend to believe in only what we can see. One day we WILL see Him, whether we want to or not.

"10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." - 2 Corinthians 5:10

I will lift up my eyes to the hills - From whence comes my help? 2 My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth" - Psalm 121:1-2


"Unto You I lift up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens. 2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to the Lord our God, Until He has mercy on us. 3 Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us! For we are exceedingly filled with contempt. 4 Our soul is exceedingly filled With the scorn of those who are at ease, With the contempt of the proud. my help? 2 My help comes from the Lord,Who made heaven and earth" - Psalm 123

Think Vertical!!

Two-Dimensional Thinking - Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment