Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Who Am I?

There are times when I find myself in situations or positions I never thought I'd find myself in. It happens less these days, now that I am more mature and wise. Ahem. Yes. But when I was in my late teens and early 20's I often found myself in strange circumstances. Like when I was on the homecoming court in high school.

Most people would look at my high school senior picture and say, "Wow! What a geek!" And they would be right . . . because I WAS a geek. But I was on homecoming court. So there!!

The deal was that our school's foreign exchange student, Grace Artenzio, needed a date. The family she was staying with was my best friends family. So, Lori, my best friends sister, suggested I ask her out. So I did. I had no idea we'd be standing up on the stage. Geeks hate being in the spotlight.

The couples all got introduced. I don't remember all the names but it was jock, cheerleader, jock, cheerleader, jock, cheerleader . . . geek, and the foreign exchange student. I never expected to be there, yet, there I was.

I never expected to be where I am right now in life. I knew that I would be married one day, I guessed, and I would have kids, but I never dreamed I'd be a grandpa and be married to the same wonderful woman for nearly 40 years.

I also never thought God would mean as much to me as He does. I knew little of Him in high school. I knew OF Him, but I never KNEW Him. All that has changed and I suddenly found myself in ANOTHER position I would never have thought of when I was younger - a born-again, child of God, co-heirs with Christ, in a kingdom without end.

That sounds kind of fancy I guess. It sounds like I have been given WAY more than I deserve . . . and that is exactly right. What amazes me to this very day is, why did God choose me? Who am I that He would be mindful of me? Exactly!


"O Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.

2 Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
    to still the enemy and the avenger.

3 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
    and the son of man that you care for him?

5 Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
    and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
    you have put all things under his feet,

7 all sheep and oxen,
    and also the beasts of the field,
 
8 the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
    whatever passes along the paths of the seas.

9 O Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!"
- Psalm 8

All of us are unworthy of the grace that we have been shown. There is none worthy, no, not one. Even Moses asked, "Who am I?"

When we find ourselves in situations where we are way over our heads perhaps, instead of asking "Why me Lord?" we should ask, "What would you have me do Lord?" We have been given much - this gift of salvation. Let us use it for God's glory. Amen?

Who Am I? - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment