Saturday, April 16, 2016

A Walk In The Dark

After a long work week I decided to take a nice, quiet walk last night. It probably wasn't the best idea I have ever had, starting my walk AFTER sunset like I did. But it was SO nice out! And it was still light enough to see . . . sort of.

I had my iPod with me, playing songs into my head. And I had my phone with me in case of emergency so I was good. Or so I thought.

I have found that walking through the woods after dark REQUIRES an music filling up you ears with nice, calming music so you don't hear those little noises you have no idea where they came from. If you can't hear the ravenous wolves or the gigantic red-eyed Slor pursuing you from behind, craving your human flesh, they aren't really there, right?

Yeah, I probably should have brought a flashlight . . . and an assortment of nuclear-powered weaponry, but I didn't.

[I turn up the volume on my iPod]

Then I heard a rhythmic thump, thump, thump. Something beyond my music. My mouth became dry. My pace quickened. The noise increased it's pace as well. What could possibly be making that sound? It HAD to be something large. Was it footsteps? The beating heart of my friend, the Slor perhaps? Nope. It was the cord from my iPod hitting against my coat as I walked. I'm such a loser.

And then suddenly, I remembered something. Hey, I am a child of God. I've got Jesus!!

Now, I know that Jesus is not some "magic genie" I can call on when I need Him, but He is a great walking companion who, it just so happens, can also cast out demons and raise the dead if He wants to. Yeah, He's a good one to go walking with after dark. And do you know why?

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12

Pretty funny for an old guy who, moments ago, was being chased my man-eating shadows.

There is nothing to fear when we are on God's side. He is the constant companion for those who believe. But for those who chose not to follow "The Light", they will end up lost and alone in the woods at the end of their days. It will be like taking a walk in the woods after dark, only you will be eternally lost and you will never get back home.

"6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." - 1 John 1:6-7

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" - Romans 8:31

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." - Psalm 23:4

 Light Of The World - Jesus Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment