Monday, April 4, 2016

I Thirst

Being on vacation is good in many ways. It gives us all a chance to relax and "get away from it all." But vacations can also be a time of separation from the comforts of home - a familiar pillow, a nice, soft bed, and the ability to see and talk with friends face-to-face.

It IS kind of nice to sleep in when on vacation and think of the events and people in our lives. But we also have things to do and places to go when on vacation. We often find ourselves on a more strict schedule when traveling than we are when we're not!

I miss many things at this point in our vacation, which makes me a little sad. But I am also learning to appreciate those things more - those precious things I had one time taken for granted I am missing greatly right now.

My church family is something I am missing. Worshiping with like-minded brothers and sisters is a blessing to be cherished. Many people do not have that. In some countries people worship in private or not at all for fear of persecution or death. We should appreciate our ability to do so here.

I miss my friends at work too. Seeing them and talking with them every day is a blessing that I have often taken for granted.

Then this morning, amidst all the missing I was doing, I thought about two words that Jesus uttered on the cross, just before He died.

"28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” - John 19:28

When we miss things don't we "thirst" for them? When our mouth is dry we thirst for water. When our hearts miss things don't we thirst for them as well? Then I wondered, "What was Jesus thirsty for? Was He thirsty for heaven? Was He thirsty to see His Father again? Was He thirsty to have the pain and suffering end? No. He was still fulfilling prophesy! Read this from Jesus.org

"In order to get the primary force of the fifth cross-utterance of Jesus, we must note its setting: "Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said, I thirst" (John 19:28). The reference is to Psalm 69 - a Messianic psalm that describes so graphically His passion. In it the spirit of prophecy had declared, "They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink" (v. 21). This remained yet unaccomplished. The predictions of the previous verses had already received fulfillment. He had sunk in the "deep mire" (v. 2); He had been "hated without a cause" (v. 4); He had "borne reproach and shame" (v. 7); He had "become a stranger unto his brethren" (v. 8); He had become "a proverb" to His revilers, and "the song of the drunkards" (vv. 11, 12); He had "cried unto God" in His distress (vv. 17-20) - and now there remained nothing more than the offering him the drink of vinegar and gall, and in order to fulfill this he cried "I thirst."

How completely self-possessed the Savior was! He had hung on that cross for six hours and had passed through unparalleled suffering, yet His mind is clear and His memory unimpaired. He had before Him, with perfect distinctness, the whole truth of God. He reviewed the entire scope of Messianic prediction. He remembers there is one prophetic scripture unaccomplished. He overlooked nothing. What a proof is this that He was divinely superior to all circumstances!"
- A.W. Pink

What did Jesus thirst for? He thirsted to obey His father in heaven. I wonder . . . shouldn't we be doing the same?

All Who Are Thirsty - Kutless


No comments:

Post a Comment