The reason she is sick is due to a germ. A virus. Her body is fighting against it and, thanks be to God, will win against it, eventually. God has given our bodies the ability to fight and stand up to infection . . . to heal itself from the creatures and forces that attack it.
Our spiritual lives operate in much the same way.
One who has no faith in God is, by definition, spiritually dead. One who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is said to be "alive" in Christ. They are born again. In order to be "born again" you must first die.
"I am the living one. I died, but look--I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave." - Revelation 1:18
Examine the common cold and compare its characteristics with that of sin in our lives.
- When we get a cold our energy is depleted. Sin depletes our energy and enthusiasm for God.
- When we get a cold we don't feel like eating. Everything tastes blah. When we have sin in our lives we don't feel like praying and God feels far from us. We feel blah.
- When we get a cold we want to stay by ourselves. When we are well spiritually we want to go to church to be with our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- A cold can lead to death if not taken care of. So can sin.
- When we have a cold we sometimes have to go see the doctor. When we have sin in our lives the only thing that can help us is the Great Physician, Jesus.
If there is sin in your life make an appointment to see The Doctor today. Life is so much better when we are healthy. It is WAY better if we are spiritually healthy and we know that we will never die. :)
The Great Physician - Deas Vail