Monday, May 16, 2016

The Best Laid Plans

I tried planting some seeds this year - tomatoes, chives and beans. I was so happy to see them pop up out of their little indoor seed pots. I watched them grow taller each day. I watered them, took care of them and nurtured them as they grew. Those were happy days.

When the time came to transplant them outdoors I was excited for them. They would be growing tall, producing fruit, and contributing to our family's well being. Yeah, well, that didn't happen.

Most of them didn't make it through the transplantation process. Why? Because I waited too long to transplant them. They spent too much of their early days stretching themselves, trying to find a light source. My mistake.

I went outside to check on them yesterday. Some animal had dug up all but a few of the little tomato seedlings, pieces were everywhere. Then, as if that weren't enough, it dropped below freezing last night. This morning, everything is frozen! One bean made it. Everything else is mush.

I look at the youth of today and I see many similarities. The church tries to get them to pray a prayer, thinking once they do that they have saved someone from eternal hell. If that's ALL they did . . . pray a prayer . . . they very well could be on their way to the very place we were trying to save them from.

The world it a tough place. Why we throw new believers into it without adequate preparation . . . no discipleship? It's like placing a plant out in the elements before it is totally ready. When a sudden frost hits they die . . . they are lost.

Jesus didn't tell His followers to "go and make converts." He told them to make disciples. There are many "Christians" walking around today that believe with all their heart they are saved because they prayed a prayer or because they think they are good enough.

Two things are often missing from the false convert - repentance and submission.

We all know people who say they are Christians, yet their lifestyle tells us something else. Are they saved because THEY believe they are or because Jesus knows they are?

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ - Matthew 7:21-23

Encourage one another to turn from the ways of this world. If "the world" is in us we have no part in Christ. We must submit to God's will. We cannot continue to live as if Christ has not changed. If we live like the world we are still part of it.

Repent . . . submit . . . and live. It's that simple. Yet we seldom teach that to our children. Who is to blame then? I think it's us.

God wishes than none should perish. Let us spread that news! Then let's tell people what they must do to be saved. It is NOT praying the sinner's prayer! It is truthful repentance, willing submission and surrendering to the will of God that saves us. And this "saving" is not of ourselves, so we could boast (Ephesians 2:9).

It is ALL God.

Why "Accepting Jesus Into Your Heart" is Superstitious & Unbiblical - David Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment