Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Family Reunion

Each year around this time members of my family (on my mother's side) gather outside of a small, central-Michigan farm community and renew family ties. We tell old stories from long ago. We eat WAY too much food and laugh enough to make our faces hurt. There is nothing quite like family. There is nothing like being loved. :)

This week at work the father of one of my friends died. Death is never a FUN thing. Someone we loved gets taken from us. It is always a sad time - losing family. Losing friends. Emotions can range from psychological breakdowns in some to those who exhibit no feelings whatsoever. Do you know what my friend did when she lost her dad? Even though she had just lost her father, my friend praised God for the time that she DID have with him. That's exceptional.

Here's a trick question for you. When is your brother or sister NOT your brother or sister? Or better yet, when does someone, who is not a brother or sister BECOME your brother or sister? Confused yet? The answer can be found in the Bible.

"25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise." - Galatians 3:25-29

My friend, the one who lost her father . . . I consider her my sister. In fact, all those who believe have millions of "relatives" they haven't even met yet. My dearest friend is my sister in Christ. Think about that for a moment. Think about who is your brother or your sister. Do you love people that way? As family?

Who are you looking forward to seeing again when you get to heaven? My friend will enjoy seeing her father again. I will enjoy seeing mine. What will they look like? What will WE look like?

I have a sister or a brother out there somewhere who I have never met. A grandchild too. How amazing will that be?!? I will get to see my friend Victoria again. Doreen, Jeanie, my buddy Juergen. and . . oh, my . . 

I will see . . . Kameron . . . and Austin. Two young people whose lives ended WAY to soon.

People spend so much time and money these days trying to stay young . . trying to find the fountain of youth. Are you kidding me? I can't wait until this life is over. I don't have a death wish and, no, I am not suicidal. I am simply looking forward to, and have complete faith in, the promises of God. And to be able to see Jesus . . . face-to-face!

Here's another trick genealogical question for you. How can someone be both your brother AND your Father at the same time? The answer is . . when He is your Lord and Savior, Jesus.

"14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him." - Romans 8:14-17

No one knows exactly what heaven will be like. We can only imagine. But I can tell you this. We will be totally and completely surrounded by the love of God and the love of family - all of our brothers and sisters in Christ! And our King!! Halleluiah!!


I Can Only Imagine - MercyMe

No comments:

Post a Comment