Monday, August 29, 2016

Me of Little Faith

Trying to find the right path through this world all by yourself can be like hacking your way through a dense jungle with a machete. It's possible, but it can also be difficult, especially if your blade is dull.

Recently, I ordered the trailer for a tiny home I am going to be building. It was slow going to make that decision. My machete blade, my confidence, was dull. Even though I only had two options.

Option One was buying a trailer specially built for tiny homes from Georgia. Option Two was simple - buy local. Only the trailer would cost $400 more. Even though it cost a little more, I chose Option Two. God, however, chose Option One.

This past Monday after work I was on my way to order the locally built trailer. It was going to happen. I had e-mailed the salesman and told him I was coming and when I was going to be there. It was a done deal. But on the way there I began feeling apprehensive about it. Really nervous and unsure. I began to doubt my decision. Was this really the right thing to do?

Upon my arrival at the trailer place the salesman I had been communicating with was nowhere to be found.  He was "unavailable" and was in his office with the door closed. Nobody else there knew anything about my previous trailer discussions. No one could find any quote.

After waiting 15 minutes, someone said, "I'll go get him." Good, I thought. He never came out. 15 minutes later I left. No sale, no salesman, nothing. I was SURE this was the right choice. I was clearly wrong.

I ordered my trailer on-line two days later from the company in Georgia - Tiny Home Builders. I couldn't have been more pleased. I received a phone call, half a dozen e-mails, a subscription to their newsletter, and I was provided access to numerous classes regarding tiny home construction. My logical choice was clearly not what God had in mind. God was clearing my way through the tiny home jungle, despite my desires to go in a different direction.

"11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

What I didn't remember until later was that I had previously prayed for God to guide my decisions in my desire to build this tiny home for the homeless. He did just that as I literally found the door closed when pursuing Option One.

God had answered my prayer.

I found it very humbling to be reminded that God actually does hear our prayers. "Ye of little faith," I could almost hear Him say. I felt ashamed to realize my doubt in God. Perhaps I thought He was "too big" to help me with such a small decision. I was wrong.

How has God answered prayers in YOUR life? Has He brought someone into your life to help guide you in some way? Have you prayed for a new job and then suddenly been given one? Have you prayed for one thing to happen, then something even better happens?

As Christians, we have been chosen by God. That in itself is humbling! But I also believe that we have been chosen because we are supposed to do something for Him. We're not just supposed to sit on our butts in church for an hour on Sunday and then do nothing for the rest of the week. We are to move forward in faith . . . blind faith. God will direct us to accomplish His will. Why do we keep insisting on grabbing the steering wheel when He's sitting right in the drivers seat doing just fine.

May we be obedient in our decisions, may we be faithful in God's provision, and may we be sure of His direction for us. Even though sometimes it seems wrong to us, may we be ever-faithful of His plans for us, plans to prosper us and not harm us, plans to give us hope and a future.

God's Miraculous Plan - Nick Vujicic
Tiny House Trailer Video - Tiny Home Builders

No comments:

Post a Comment