Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Parable of The Runaway Trailer

We were having such a good day. My wife and I were helping our daughter and her husband move into their new house. First we took some bags of leaves to the recycling center. I had my truck and an old trailer. Things were going good until my daughter exclaimed on the way home, "Dad! The trailer's gone!"

Well, that sure got my attention but I had to check my mirrors anyway, like my daughter surely had not seen . . . a 45 square foot trailer. Yep. It was gone. LONG gone!

As I turned the truck around we all began scanning the ditches for our missing trailer. The kids finally spotted it in the ditch next to a busy intersection. It must have become detached when I had stepped on the brakes there a few minutes earlier.

Miraculously the trailer was undamaged. Again, miraculously, the trailer turned to the right after coming loose and simply went into the ditch. Instead of turning left and into oncoming traffic at a MAJOR intersection. Some would say we were lucky. Not me. God was definietly watching over the whole situation as things ended with the best outcome possible.

Our faith can become "detached" sometimes. We can easily lose our way, living in the world in which we do. So many dangers. So many temptations. We need to watch the warning signs in our walk with Jesus or we too can end up in the ditch.

In the case of our trailer, several small things led up to what could have been a big accident. The emergency chains on the trailer were too short to attach to the truck. I recognized that when I hooked the trailer up that morning. I knew I would have to replace them but surely things would be okay today. Then, when I emptied the trailer at the recycling center I detached it because the trailers tipping mechanism was rusted shut. I "placed" the trailer back on the hitch after dumping the leaves but I never locked it in place. I got distracted. I was clearly my fault for not being doubly sure about these very small but important things.

In our faith we need to make sure we are reading His Word, attending church, serving others and participating in a small accountability group. Otherwise it is easy to veer off the narrow road and onto the broad one.

"Maybe just one more drink," we say. "Just one more hit."

"No one will ever know," we tell ourselves, and then we find out we're pregnant.

"I don't believe in God anymore. How could He let my father die like that?"

Many things can distract us from the truth. In my case, I was careless in making sure the trailer was safely hooked up to my truck. I could have injured someone. Or worse. That was a wake-up call for me.

Are you in need of a wake-up call spiritually? Most people don't think so until it's too late. That's why we need to examine ourselves daily to see if we come up lacking. BEFORE we get out onto life's highway.

Have you given your life to Jesus yet? Is He LORD of your life. Is He your master? Are YOU His slave? I hope so. Tomorrow could be the day someone's trailer comes loose in front of YOU. And maybe that's the day it veers to the left instead of the right and suddenly everything goes dark. Eternally dark. Too late.

This stuff happens everyday my friends. It happened to me this past Saturday. Are you ready? Be prepared. Be ready.

"3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. 4 For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God’s power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God’s power we will live with him in our dealing with you.

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you - unless, of course, you fail the test?" - 2 Corinthians 13:3-5

I AM STILL ON THE ROAD OUT THERE PEOPLE!! :O

Examine Yourself - John MacArthur
Examine Yourselves - Charles Spurgeon
SUV Caravan Challenge - Top Gear

No comments:

Post a Comment