Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Almost Missed It

One of the things I pray for is opportunities to share the Gospel with someone or to pray with someone. I pray for those opportunities as if God never gives them to me. He gives me plenty. I am the one who misses the opportunities He gives me. Perhaps I should pray not to miss the opportunities when they come. And I do. :)

The other day I was at Kwik Trip - Wisconsin's favorite convenience store. I'm probably there every morning during the work week. This past Monday was no exception. I was standing in line with my sausage, egg & cheese muffin and a container of milk, waiting to check out.

When I got up the counter I asked the cashier how she was doing. Apparently she was having a rather bad day. I listened as she told me about her husband who was not being very "Christmassy" and mentioned something about how she'd like to change husbands, just for Christmas Eve. She also spoke about how her children weren't coming home for Christmas. She was NOT having a very good day.

After looking back over my shoulder at the long line of people behind me, I said to the cashier, "I will pray for you." She said thanks and I turned to leave. I took two steps when I could have sworn I heard someone say, "Do it now, you idiot!" That someone was me.

So I went back and stood off to the side for a bit, waiting for the line to go down. When it did, I approached the same cashier again and told her I would like to pray for her . . . now. She consented.

I grabbed her hand and prayed for her husband, that God might soften his heart this Christmas and make him see its true meaning. I prayed for her children, that they might embrace the joy of family. And I prayed for the cashier, that the true spirit of Christmas might be with her and her family, always. Amen.

We get so busy this time of year. We have so many things to do, places to go and people to see. We buy presents, bake cookies, we often forget to take the time to do the really important things in life. To love someone.

After we got done praying the lady looked at me and said, "Thank you. That actually helped." I left the store smiling because I was given an opportunity and, although I almost missed it, I didn't.

How many opportunities are we given during the course of the day that we miss completely? I think I need some type of alarm system that goes off whenever an opportunity presents itself.

I'll leave you with the lyrics of an obscure Christian song by Josh Bates entitled Less. Second verse . . .

The night descends and I have to face the dark
And I should pray before I sleep but it's so hard
Have I done a single thing to make Him proud
I had so many chances, but did I fail Him somehow
I'm afraid that... I'm less than I thought I was.

11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works." - Titus 2:11-14

Less - Josh Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment