Saturday, January 28, 2017

Compassion And Mercy

As I sit here, hands folded under my chin, I am trying to figure out just how to put into words what happened to me Friday morning. Most days we go through life just plodding along in the same old job and the same old life. Then there are those days, all too rare in my opinion, that we suddenly see clearly and know EXACTLY what it is we should do.

I wrote a story once about pausing in life occasionally, to look back at where we've come from. To examine our lives. Are we doing what God wants us to? Are we where He wants us to be? Are we making Him proud?

Everything started a few days ago when I was listening to a song by Josh Bates. The second verse just spoke to me this week for some reason. Then Friday morning came and I heard the words again during my prayer time . . . only I was speaking them.

The night descends and I have to face the dark
And I should pray before I sleep but it's so hard
Have I done a single thing to make Him proud
I had so many chances, but did I fail Him somehow.

When I emerged from prayer yesterday morning there were tears in my eyes. My prayers have not been that deep or meaningful in quite a while, but they were yesterday, and suddenly things seemed totally clear about what God wants me to do. It was almost like the tears themselves made everything clear. My prayers had been answered. My path made more certain.

Have you ever doubted and questioned yourself? Have you ever wondered if you were on the right track in life? Have you ever wondered if you make God proud with the decisions you make and the life you have led thus far? I do.

I just finished reading the Book of Joshua. The last chapter of that book contains some amazing words. Words we all should remember, if we call ourselves Christians.

14 “Now therefore, fear the Lord, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord! 15 And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. - Joshua 24:14-15

When we become Christians it's not just something we do on Sundays. It's a lifestyle. It is a life CHANGE. Christianity is not about GOING to church, it's about BEING the church. How can we be Jesus in the lives of those around us?

For me, how I can serve my Lord and King became more clear to me this week. I'm not just going to let that slide without taking action. The clarity came from God!

I watched thousands of women marching in Washington D.C. yesterday as the annual March For Life took place. This group was much different than the group of women who marched the previous week.

Last week's group used hateful remarks about our president and one "thought about blowing up the White House." Yesterday's group spoke with love, compassion and mercy - not for themselves but for others who could not speak for themselves. Even our new vice president was there, giving those who attended a sense of new hope.

God provides us with clarity. He gives us gifts like compassion and mercy. We can make Him proud by following His commands and taking action on His behalf in the world in which He has placed us.

What are YOU going to do today? I know what I am going to do today and for the rest of my life. Joshua challenged us when he said, "choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve." He also answered that challenge as I answer it today. As for me . . . I will serve the Lord.

How will you serve God today?

Less - Josh Bates
Vice President Mike Pence Speech at March For Life 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment