Saturday, January 7, 2017

Staying Warm

Ten below zero! That was the temperature on my way into work yesterday morning. It was C-O-L-D cold!! When it’s really cold like this it can be downright dangerous! Pipes freeze, cars won’t start and frostbite can occur in a matter of minutes.
Our faith can get like that if we don’t actively engage in efforts to keep ourselves spiritually warm and toasty when life gets “cold”. If we let our faith grow cold through inattentive behavior we soon can find ourselves on the side of the road with a spiritual car that just won’t run.
So, how do we stay warm in a world that wants to suck the heat right out of us? Here’s a few things that help keep ME stay warm. I hope they do the same thing for you.
Read - Spending time in God’s Word can warm our hearts. Reading God’s promises can lift us up and remind us of “warmer weather”. The sun will come up tomorrow. Spring is approaching. Read!
Pray - Talking to God, our Father, can be a very warming experience. Especially when we remember that He DOES hear us and that He DOES love us.
Praise & Worship - I personally get great enjoyment out of singing worship music. I don't sing very well but when I am alone in my car I am one of the loudest. LOL!
Serve others - Helping others brings great joy to the heart of a Christian. It warms our hearts to serve God by serving others. The widow, the orphan, the sick, the poor. It is an honor to become less in His name.
And now for a little bedtime secret about how my wife and I stay warm when it's time for bed. Don't worry. Nothing TOO "hot". LOL!

I am usually the first one in bed so I get the unenviable job of warming the sheets. Someone has to do it, right? Ephesians 5, husbands . . . sacrifice! So I shiver under the covers until things get warm. Then do you know what I do? I scoot over to my wife's side of the bed and I warm her side of the bed as well. You would not believe that shouts of joy she emits when she climbs into a pre-warmed bed. HA! And it's even Biblical!

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! 11 Again, if two lie together they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? – Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

So, on those cold, lonely nights when you're feeling downright chilly, put a log on the fire and pick up your Bible and read a few chapters about Moses wandering through the desert. You will be warm in no time! :)

Let It Go - Pentatonix
California Dreamin' - The Mama's and The Papa's

No comments:

Post a Comment