Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The War Inside

Have you ever thought you'd done everything right only to discover that you got it all wrong? Welcome to every day of my life. LOL!

I think most of us Christians know that we are sinners. That's a given in the Christian faith. That "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). But I am not sure we understand just what sin is. In addition to doing things that God doesn't like, sin is also NOT doing things that God wants us to do.

I am reading through the Book of First Samuel right now. After Saul was made king of Israel in chapter 10, God rejects Saul as king in Chapter 15. That didn't last long. Israel had turned its back on God by demanding an earthly king so God gave them one. But Saul was just like you and me. Disobedient.

Saul started out good. "Small in his own eyes" as Samuel put it. But when Saul became king, he let his new position get the better of him and Saul began doing what was right in his OWN eyes instead of God's.

God commanded Saul to do something and he did what God said . . . with a few exceptions. He kept some of the animals he and his men had captured for a sacrifice to God. Sounded like a good idea, but . . . Oops.

17 Samuel said, “Although you were once small in your own eyes, did you not become the head of the tribes of Israel? The Lord anointed you king over Israel. 18 And he sent you on a mission, saying, ‘Go and completely destroy those wicked people, the Amalekites; wage war against them until you have wiped them out.’ 19 Why did you not obey the Lord? Why did you pounce on the plunder and do evil in the eyes of the Lord?”

20 “But I did obey the Lord,” Saul said. “I went on the mission the Lord assigned me. I completely destroyed the Amalekites and brought back Agag their king. 21 The soldiers took sheep and cattle from the plunder, the best of what was devoted to God, in order to sacrifice them to the Lord your God at Gilgal.”

22 But Samuel replied:
“Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
    as much as in obeying the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
    and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
    and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
    he has rejected you as king.” - 1 Samuel 15:17-23
 
I was listening to a CD on my way to work yesterday morning. I heard a song that describes perfectly what Saul's problem was. Pride. Saul may have defeated the Amalekites thoroughly but he lost the battle against Satan - The War Inside.
 
I am the war inside
I am the battle line
I am the rising tide
I am the war I fight
 
Ain't no killer like pride
No killer like I
No killer like what's inside
 
We all want to be masters of our own destiny. We all want to be our own gods. Our selfish desires are constantly at war against God's command to be obedient. Some people think they don't need Jesus. From where I sit, and I have a front row seat for the battle that wages within myself, we need Him desperately. There is no hope apart from Christ. May we be obedient in everything we say and do.

The War Inside - Switchfoot

2 comments:

  1. I always struggle on this one Bob. Thanks for this post...it gave me some insight! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What specifically do you struggle with? There are a few things I read, wondering why they are in the Bible, but I always come back to, "What is God trying to teach me in this?"

    ReplyDelete