Saturday, July 29, 2017

Every Man Dies

Pastor Paul Washer was speaking to a group of youth pastors about the depths of their responsibilities to Jesus. After he delivered his message, one of the youth pastors came up to him and said, "If I do all of those things you just told us to do, the elders at my church will kill me." Pastor Washer calmly looked at the man and replied, "Then die."

That spoke volumes to me as we consider exactly who it is we are serving in ministry. In life.

On my way home from work the other night I was listening to Janet Parshall's In The Market. Her guest was Randall Wallace, the guy who wrote Braveheart. Randall Wallace is a descendant of William Wallace, the character Mel Gibson played in the movie.

During the show they played various audio clips from the movie and there was one that touched me - enough to write a story about it:

"Every man dies but not every man really lives." - William Wallace

After reading Song of Songs in the Bible last week, I began to realize the true passion and love that God has for His people. I also became convicted of my OWN lack of passion for God. Do I have that kind of love for Him? Do I exhibit that kind of love for others in the world around me? Am I "really living?" My answer was a resounding, "No."

Alright then. How can I change that? How can I "really live" my life MORE for Christ? Well, the first thing I should do, as with ANY situation, is to pray about it. Pray to God that He might change me into who He wants me to be. Not into who I want to become. Who God wants me to be.

Next I think I think I need to read more. I've been trying to read at least a chapter a day in the Bible. Perhaps I should read more than that so I can absorb more, more quickly. Yet, at the same time, take my time with it so I can understand as I go.

I need to be more intentional in spending time with God. Involve Him in more of my daily life. Like He's right there walking beside me because . . . He is.

Then love more. Invest time with other people. Listen to their stories. Share their pain. Walk with them as Christ walks with us.

Don't be afraid to physically touch someone. A hand on the shoulder or on the back. If they need a hug, give them one. I need to express my love for others in visible, tangible ways . . . with out getting into trouble in doing so.

Hmm, you know these lists are great. Their wonderful as a check list to show us where we come up lacking. But with out that genuine love in our hearts they are really quite useless. The true solution to loving God and loving others is to follow the advice of William Wallace. I need to die, as every man does. Not a physical death. In that sense we all will accomplish that one day. We need to die spiritually to anything that makes us "live" in this world.

Do I merely existing in this world, pretending to be "religious", and then in the next moment, do something worldly? If that is me, then I must die. I must be consistent - in Christ.

As every man, and every woman, walks through this life, let us be about being who we are. How will we be consistent today? How will we be Christlike today? How will we be examples of the One who saved us from the death that every man dies? The answer is simple. We must live the life we were called to live.

"If you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
 
22 “He committed no sin,
    and no deceit was found in his mouth.”


23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." - 1 Peter 2:20-25

Every Man Dies - Braveheart
Live Like That - Sidewalk Prophets

No comments:

Post a Comment