Monday, August 21, 2017

My Depression Cure

It never fails. When ever I am feeling down or depressed, or feeling sad in some way, there is a cure I have discovered that will snap me right out of the lowest possible funk. Want to know what it is? I bet you do. So would half the people on the planet.

Well, the solution, at least for me anyway, is rather easy. Here is my simple four-step program for getting rid of depression.
  1. Become a Christian. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the spirit is spirit." - John 3:6. This is essential to combating depression (in addition to a ton of other amazing things). Why? See reason #2.
  2. Receive God's Holy Spirit. When you do you become changed . . . well, things change! Your whole LIFE changes! "the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one" - 1 Corinthians 12:7
  3. Receive your spiritual gift and the "fruit of the spirit". Everybody gets at least one gift. What's yours? We all receive the fruit of the spirit. That is "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control." - Galatians 5:22-23 but what is your gift?
  4. Find a place to use that special gift for God's glory. Not your glory, God's glory. "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace". - 1 Peter 4:10
That's it!

Now I know that many people suffer from depression. I'm not saying this will cure everybody. After all, Charles Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers", suffered from depression. I don't mean to make light of the condition in any way, but my depression cure really does work. At least it does for me.

By becoming a Christian we are supposed to humble ourselves and become a servant to God and to others. We are to place everyone's needs above our own. There should be no thinking of ourselves or our condition.

When we receive God's promised Holy Spirit we DO become changed. We actually WANT to be humbled. We want to grow closer to God and to serve Him. And to know that God loves us and knew us in our mother's womb . . . how can we be depressed when we remember that!

Using our spiritual gifts to honor God is tremendously uplifting. My gift, for example, is the gift of mercy. When someone is hurting my first instinct is to come along side them and walk with them through whatever storm they might be going through. Need someone to talk to? I'm there. Need some food? Let's go to the store. I try to honor God by serving others in this way. It makes me feel good.

I use my spiritual gift at work, I use it at home, I use it at Ruby's Pantry where I volunteer each month. What about you? Where and how do use YOUR spiritual gift(s).

Do you have the gift of leadership or teaching? Perhaps you should lead a Bible study or teach Sunday school. The gift of service can be used in many places. Find your gift and use it . . . for God.

A pretty good listing of spiritual gifts can be obtained by reading Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4. Check it out. You might just find you don't feel so bad after your done reading. :)

Discovering Your Spiritual Gift - Pastor John MacArthur

No comments:

Post a Comment