Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Parable of The Mini Van

When I was growing up my dad bought our family a minivan. It was a great vehicle. We took it on vacations, we hauled autumn's leaves to the dump with it (yes, they were inside the van). We beat the living tar out of that car and it kept on running and serving our family for many years. But I never thought a minivan would teach me a valuable life lesson.

After leaving home as a young man I always made jokes about minivans. I'd say stuff like, "I would never be caught dead in one of those things" or "the only time you'd ever see me in a minivan was if my casket was in the back." You know, encouraging things like that. A little prideful perhaps?

This past week I met with a young couple. They have a young daughter and another child on the way. They currently have no place to stay of their own. They have no vehicle and, until recently, they no jobs. Times were tough. But God is doing an amazing things in their lives.

A while ago the young mom, a former youth group kid, reach out to me. She was in need of some food. Then earlier this year there came another reaching out. This time for housing. And now this week came another need - transportation to get to those jobs. All these things, opportunities to serve, were directed towards me.

But who am I? Some might say "He's an easy target." My reply to that would be, "I'm more like a willing servant."

This morning in my prayers it occurred to me just what was taking place here. It's not about me and me swallowing my pride to buy a minivan. It's about Jesus. It's ALWAYS about Jesus. This is a freaking parable!!

All of humanity is represented by this young couple. We are ALL in need of a savior, so we reach out in desperation! We reach out in hopes that someone can save us.

In this parable of the minivan I suddenly find myself in a role that is WAY above my pay grade - playing the role of Christ in someone's life. No pressure, right? Oh, dear Lord! How incredibly humbling.

"Who am I Lord, that you should be mindful of me?" - Psalm 8:4

Purchasing a minivan for someone is a small, earthly gesture compared to what Jesus did for us on the cross.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." - Mark

Lord, you came to our rescue what you willingly died for us. You gave us everything we ever needed that day on the cross. May we shine brightly, reflecting the love You gave us, into the lives of ALL we meet. We reach out in desperation to you, Lord. We thank you and praise you for reaching YOUR hands . . . on the cross.

Mighty To Save - Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment