Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Commands of Jesus: Focus

When I was in high school I heard some words that resonated with me. These words encouraged me to be different - to make a stand no matter what and to be willing to try something new.

Those words were written in a poem by Robert Frost. Here they are.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Those words made a difference in my life. Especially when I learned similar words spoken by another influential man in my life - Jesus.

"13 Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." - Matthew 7:13-14

These two people were not actually writing or speaking about roads and gates. They are speaking about life and the way we live it.The difference is that Robert Frost is merely relating what he did. Jesus is telling us to do something. Enter. But enter what? And where is this gate? And what makes it narrow?

The gate is not a real gate. It's more of a path and a decision we make. We get a clue from the second half of the first sentence. "Broad is the road that leads to destruction."

There are many religions in the world. Many Christian denominations as well. And all these preachers on television. Who is right in their teaching? Is ANYBODY right?

My answer is this. Only those teachers preaching the God of the Bible are preaching the truth. Anyone who changes or adjusts the Bibles teaching is a FALSE teaching and a liar. There is only one God. The God of the Bible.

Mormons talk about Jesus and they talk about the Bible. Look closely at their teaching. Different Jesus, different bible. As an example, and this might sound harsh and not politically correct but, those spreading Mormonism are liars and false teachers. Same for Jehovah's Witnesses. Man-made religions peddling a different Jesus.

90% of the preachers you see on television are false teachers. Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Sarah Young (Jesus Calling), Robert Schuller, Norman Vincent Peale, the list goes on because . . . wide is the gate.

Jesus teaches  “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." - John 10:9-10

We must be mindful of the road we travel on. If we are not walking next to Jesus, we are lost. Many of these false teachers are out to make money for themselves. They are deceived and therefore deceiving others.

So, how do I know that I am right?

" 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”  - John 10:27-30

Be cautious who you listen to. Be a good Berean (Acts 17). Narrow is the gate and there is only ONE gate. Jesus.


7 False Teachers In The Church Today - Jim Challies
When He Speaks - The McKameys

No comments:

Post a Comment