Monday, October 16, 2017

The Lord Provides

I am sitting here in front of my computer, hands folded in prayer, trying to figure out what it is that God would like me to write about this morning. The topic is easy - God's provision. God provided SO many things this weekend. It was amazing. But that's what God does. The unbelievable. There were just so many examples of His provision this weekend. It is hard to choose!

First there was the tiny home I am building. I had scheduled a wall building event (a few weeks in advance) for this past Saturday. As the day approached the long-range weather forecast showed rain. So I prayed for an opening, an opportunity to build, in between the raindrops.

God provided.

Saturday morning there was a break in the rain from morning until noon. Plus twice the number of people showed up to help than I was expecting. The overnight rain stopped and we were able to build for 2 1/2 hours before the sprinkles began. Thank you Lord!

Another example of God's provision came Sunday morning when I was sitting in church. Suddenly my wife appeared next to me and said, "We have to go." One of our cats was having a medical emergency and was, as the vet told us later, very near to death.

Years earlier I had been gifted a three-day class at The Skip Barber Racing School. That training came in handy driving from Waupaca to Appleton, sometimes in excess of 90 miles per hour. All of this was done calmly and safely. The vet told us, "I was a good thing you arrived when you did."

The staff was able to revive him and my wife, who was in tears most of the morning, was grateful Sunday evening when the animal hospital called saying that her cat was much improved.

God provided once again.

But I think the example that best suits God's style, and is a perfect example of His provision, occurred Sunday afternoon. With her cat at the animal hospital, my wife wasn't feeling like attending a party but she did. It was our grandson's 5th birthday party.

Seeing grandchildren always improves the mood. But the moment that truly made my wife forget all of her troubles and concerns was captured by my daughter in this photos.

Have you ever heard of the place called Jehovah-jireh? It is the location where Isaac was bound on Mt. Moriah to be sacrificed. Just as Abraham raised his knife, he was stopped and God provided a substitutionary sacrifice. A foreshadowing of Jesus and HIS sacrifice for our sins. Jehovah-jireh means God provides. And He does.

"When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. 11 But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 12 He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” 13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called the name of that place, The Lord will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided.” - Genesis 22:9-15

Paul Washer's Testimony about God's Provision

No comments:

Post a Comment