Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Parable of The Old Stud

The Old Grey Stud
Before you say anything, no, this is not a biographical piece. LOL! It's building a tiny home and not having enough supplies on the job site. You get desperate. How desperate? You'll see.

My friend Chuck and I were working on a few of the remaining walls on the project. I was looking through the scrape heap for a 48" 2x4 or something a little longer that I could cut without too much waste. There was nothing.

Well, there was some of the craps I had used last winter to hold the tarp on the trailer. I was indeed desperate. I picked up an old grey, weather piece of wood and measured it. Exactly 48"!! I wouldn't even have to cut it! So I picked it put it in place and nailed it into the wall.

The Old Rugged Cross
As I thought about it later I smiled. It was just like me. God reached down and grabbed a weathered old man and called him to be part of His family. He takes chances on lots of people and things seem to work out just fine.

How has God used you for His glory? He wants all of us to serve Him in some way. Are you using your gifts to shine a light on Jesus? We should be doing that. It's our job. :)

I was taking a break later that afternoon, looking at the old stud I had used when I noticed something else. Take a look at the picture to the right. I'm sure you can see it too.

What a blessing to be a child of God and to be serving others through the gifts He has given us. It makes me feel useful in my old age. Not "a stud" by any means, but a useful part of His family. And that is a good feeling.

"For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God." - Hebrews 3:4

The Old Rugged Cross - Johnny & June Carter Cash




No comments:

Post a Comment