Saturday, November 11, 2017

Drink Deep

There is an old saying that goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." That is especially true in the world we live in today. And it can be true in our own lives as well. Here's an example of what I mean.

There's nothing I like better in the morning than a nice Manderfield's Bavarian Cream filled doughnut. I seldom buy them for myself but when someone brings in doughnuts at work for their birthday I am often first in line. The problem is I am diabetic. Sugar is not good for me. Yet I still consume sugar.

My wife tries to get me to eat smart. No doughnuts! No cookies! And I comply with her wishes . . . as long as she is present. But as soon as she turns her back, I am in the cookie jar! My wife knows what is right for me but she has trouble making my follow her wishes. That's because my desire to eat sweets is often stronger than my desire to please my wife.

As a Christian, walking through a fallen world each day, I see many people who are thirsty. Thirsty for the living water of Jesus. The problem is, they don't KNOW they are thirsty. Does that make sense? They are living a life that is not pleasing to God, yet they think their lives are perfectly fine.

We Christians are supposed to be the ones who lead these "horses" to water - Jesus. So, how do we do that? I think the answer is love, and compassion.

I have some young friends who are involved in a same-sex relationship. They are drinking the water from a polluted stream - the world. I have talked with them about sin and their need for repentance. I have done so in love. When we see each other these days we always give the other a hug. There IS love present in our relationship. But they prefer living that lifestyle. I am the same with my doughnuts. Have I done my job as a believer in Christ in the lives of my friends?

I have loved them, I have had compassion for them and told them about sin and doing what is right in God's eyes. I pray for them, that they will one day taste the crisp, clean water the Jesus has to offer. I have led them to the source of the water, but I can't make them drink Him in. I have done my job. The rest is up to them. And Him.

It's frustrating because I love these people. I want what is best for them. God does too. But we all have free will to chose the path we want to take. That sounds like something God might be saying about US when WE screw up and make the wrong choices.

The difference comes, I think, that when we sin the only thing that quenches our thirst for righteousness is another drink from The Well. HIS well.

The next time someone brings in doughnuts at work to celebrate their birthday, what will I do? I'll probably have one, despite the fact that doughnuts are not good for me. And that's the problem. I am more interested in that sweet taste of sin than I am about doing what is right.

"It's just one doughnut."

It's more than one doughnut though. It's a lifestyle that needs to be changed if I want to have a longer life. It's the same with Jesus. If we want to have a longer life - eternal life - we need to make a lifestyle change. We need to drink from a different stream.

So, when are we going to do that?

In a few months I am going to retire. My "lifestyle" will be changed. The temptation from those sinful doughnuts will still be there but the exposure to them will be far less. Isn't that what needs to happen when we sin?

We need to change our lifestyle and how do we do that? Seek the help of someone who changes lives everyday. Jesus is just what we need. Drink Him in and drink deep!vHe will change your life.

"37 On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! 38 Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’ - John 7:37-38

The Well - Casting Crowns
Washed By The Water - Needtobreathe
Jesus, The Water of Life - Ben Hur
The Atheist Delusion Movie - Living Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment