Saturday, December 30, 2017

Last Day?

Thursday morning at work I wrote two words down in my calendar. You see I am retiring at the end of March so on March 30th's spot I wrote "Last Day". I paused and thought about that for a moment. What if we knew when our last day on earth was? Would we live differently?

It's been really cold here in Central Wisconsin lately. My friend Jeanne in Antigo reported -26 degrees the other day. We were at 19 below in Waupaca. That was Wednesday. Thursday it snowed. When the highway is already frozen and then it snows, and cars drive on that snow, it can turn into ice pretty quickly. And it did. And as it turned out, it WAS also someone's "last day."

"A man's days are numbered." - Job 14:5

As I neared home I began to see brake lights on the road in front of me and then the flashing lights of a squad car. Someone must have gone off the road, I thought. I was right but it was worse than that. Authorities had closed the freeway because of an accident. Traffic was being diverted off the highway so they could clean up the accident scene. Sounded pretty bad. And it was.

An east bound pickup lost control on the ice, went across the median and hit a semi head on. The driver of the pickup was killed. His last day.

We never know when it will be our last day on this earth. As the old saying goes, "Live each day as if it were your last because, one day, you will be right."

Yesterday morning on my way in to work the roads were still pretty slick but I was making pretty good time. That is until I dropped a wheel off the road and snagged a bit of snow and ice with my left front tire. THAT woke me up! Reminding me once again we never know when it will be our last day. It can happen that quickly.

When I got to work I saw a Facebook post by Franklin Graham. Speaking of his 99-year old father, Franklin wrote this.

My father has been faithful to God's Word. He believes the Bible to be the inspired Word of God. He believes in Heaven and Hell, and preached repentance from sin and that people must put their faith in Jesus Christ who took our sins to the cross, died in our place, and then God raised to life. By trusting Christ, we are assured of an eternal home in Heaven. In an ever changing world, isn’t it good to know that God’s Word never changes—it’s the same yesterday, today, and forever!

Amen Franklin! What you have just read is The Gospel of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Jesus and His disciples preached that wherever they went. I hope the driver who died Thursday night had heard that message and receiver it. Please pray for his family. Pray for the semi driver as well. He was uninjured but witnessed someone die right in front of him.

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is." - Psalm 39:4

If today was your last day, would you be ready?

Fatal Crash - WBAY.com

No comments:

Post a Comment