Monday, January 1, 2018

Burning Love

I'm not anybody special. Far from it. But I HAVE been blessed in that I have seen glimpses of God. Not God Himself mind you. No one has ever seen God, and lived. But I HAVE seen examples of his character in His Word and in His creation. So have ALL of His children! But I never thought I'd see Him in my fireplace.

For example, yesterday I was looking at the fire in our fireplace. There were no flames actually but the log was glowing red hot. As I watched it I could see it pulsing, reds and oranges. It was like the log was alive with fire - burning from within itself. That's what gave me the idea for this story.

We read in 1 John 4 that "God is love." When we read that in verse eight we think, "Yeah? So? I love people too." That's just it. I don't think we do. Not the way God loves us.

We say we love all kinds of things. For example, I love my grandchildren, I love my wife, and I love meatloaf. My friend Chuck at church said he has a friend who "loves" hunting. Does he REALLY love hunting? Or is it just an obsession? Love is an incredibly misused word.

I see people on Facebook say how they love someone. They're 12! How can they be so sure it's love and not indigestion? Do they even comprehend what love is at that young age? Or us. Can we truly comprehend what love is without knowing God?

I think that none of us really knows what love is until we come to know Jesus. The Bible is right when it said that God is love. And here's the proof.

Open your Bibles to Luke 23 and begin reading in verse 34. Jesus is being crucified by the religious rulers. What did Jesus do? He prayed for them, seeking forgiveness on their behalf. What?!?

34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots." - Luke 23:34

In verse 41-44 we see another example of the love of Christ as He had compassion on one of the criminals hanging next to Him. Speaking to the second thief, the first thief said,

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
 
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” - Luke 23:41-43

Flip ahead to John 19 for yet another example of God's love and compassion. When Jesus looked down from the cross and saw John and His mother standing there He said this:

26 When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." - John 19:26-27

As He was dying on the cross, Jesus made sure His mother was taken care of. He also comforted a thief and prayed for those who were killing Him. What kind of amazing love was that?

God's love burns hot, just like that log in our fire place.  Is our love that hot? Does it burn as deeply for fellow humans, both friend and foe? Sadly, I think we're lucky to find a spark sometimes when we compare our love with God's.

There is a difference between God's love and ours. Often we incorrectly call something love when it is really lust or idolatry.

Do we love our enemies like Jesus did? No. He sacrificed Himself for them out of a deep burning love in His heart so that they could be saved.

I want to live like that. I want to have so much love inside of me that I am glowing red-hot . . . not only for those I like but for those I don't like as well. I have a long way to go and surely I will never get to that point. But I can try. :)

Live Like That - Sidewalk Prophets

No comments:

Post a Comment