Monday, January 22, 2018

Remember Your Leaders

"Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith." - Hebrews 13:7

That verse came to mind yesterday as my wife and I were visiting a family friend and his wife.

This couple we visited are in their 80's - a pastor and his wife. We usually get together once a year or so to catch up on things and yesterday was the day.

As we sat and exchanged life stories I couldn't help but think about this man and his wife. Their stories were amazing. Starting out in seminary school, they didn't have much but made much of what the did have.

As pastor and wife they served their congregation their whole lives. They raised five kids, all of whom play an active role in the lives of THEIR children and their communities. Another verse comes to mind:

"6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

This man has taught me much. If those he ministered to would examine HIS life and "imitate it", this world would be a much better place in which to live.

Do you have someone like that in your life? I hope you do. When was the last time you spent some time with them? What lessons have you learned?

As I myself get up there in years I want to be like our friend and his wife. Loving, teaching, and doing so in the name of Christ.

Who are the teachers in YOUR life? Timothy had Paul, The Apostles had Jesus. So do we. Who has taught YOU? Are you imitating their behavior?

Here's a video of one of my other mentors in the faith. Consider HIS life and imitate HIS behavior. You could do worse. Seek out good teachers in your life. Pay attention to the ones God places in YOUR life. You will be the better for it.

Tony Dungy - I Am Second

No comments:

Post a Comment