Monday, January 15, 2018

The Fire Goes Out

My wife and I spent Sunday evening sitting in the living room. She was reading a magazine, I was writing this story. We like sitting in the living room during the cold winter months because that's where our wood-burning fireplace is. We just don't want to be cold.

Interestingly enough our pastor spoke about the church at Laodicea this morning. That was one of the early churches that sprung up as the apostles and disciples began spreading the Gospel throughout the area of the Mediterranean.

Revelation 3 tells us that Laodicea was a "lukewarm" church - no longer on fire for Jesus. Just drifting along, satisfied with things the way they were . That's not good according to our Lord who said he would spit them out of His mouth. Hmm.

The other morning I went to take my morning pills. I poured a nice glass of what I thought was cold tap water. I didn't know that my wife had just used the HOT water and when I went to take a drink I got warm water. I was NOT expecting that! I know exactly what Jesus was talking about because it was all I could do to keep from spitting it out in the sink. Yuck!

Getting back to the fire we had burning. It was going all weekend. Our house was a toasty 74 degrees inside even though it was ten below outside. Nice. In order to keep it burning though I had to get up in the middle of the night and put in some more wood. Otherwise it would just go out. That's bad. Especially if you want to stay warm.

How is your faith these days? Are you and Jesus spending time together? Are you praying often? Spending time reading the Bible? Attending worship (and worshiping in spirit and truth)?

There are "Christians" I know who call themselves that yet don't exhibit any Christian characteristics. As Christians there should be evidence of our faith in the way we walk through the day, the way we act and the way we love.

Are you fueling your faith fire? Or is it beginning to go out? Read these words from Jesus.

" 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
 
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." - Revelation 3:15-20

Jesus is standing at the door and knocking. He sees no smoke coming from the chimney. Don't leave Him out in the cold. Rebuild that fire today!

If I Ever Lose My Faith In You - Sting
Soul On Fire - Third Day

No comments:

Post a Comment