Monday, February 12, 2018

A Call To Anguish

I'm going to ask you to watch something kind of graphic today. In fact, someone dies during the video you are about to watch. But I want you to get the feel for my topic today. Anguish.

Roger Williamson and David Purley were both Formula One race car drivers back in the late 70's. They also were best friends.

During the Dutch Grand Prix of 1973 Roger Williamson crashed. His car burst into flames and flipped upside down. His friend David Purley stopped to help but was unable to do so. The frustration and anguish Purley experienced that day is quite evident in the video. As you watch, please pay attention to what you are feeling.

Roger Williamson and David Purley

Where does our passion come from? Why do we feel stronger about some things than we do about others? What do YOU feel passionate about? Is our passion birthed out of anguish? Some pain hurts us so deeply that we can't help but be moved to action. The question is, Are we moving?

Look back at your life and see if you can find a time when you were in anguish. A time when you were so upset about something that it changed you. What was it?

For me it was the abduction and murder of a nine-year old girl in our community named Cora Jones. As the father of a daughter who was the same age and went to the same church as Cora, the pain of what her father went through really hit me hard. Her loss fueled my entry into youth ministry. To this day I have a passion for teens, that they would come to know Jesus and thus be saved.

A ministry born in anguish.

We have many things we care about in life, but few of them carry with them our consuming passion. I think God wants us to have a passion for something. Him. A passion that is sometimes born in anguish.

Look at the life of Jesus for example. And look at God, the Father. The Old Testament is filled with stories of God's anguish over His people Israel. He sacrificed His only Son for them (and us) and still they did not believe.

The Rich Man and Lazarus is another example. An evangelist born out of anguish.

‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ - Luke 16:27-28

The Christian faith was born out of anguish. Close your eyes and think about Jesus on the cross. Think about His love for us and His obedience to His Father. Where is OUR anguish for those who do not know Jesus?

I listened to the following message by the late David Wilkerson yesterday. It touched me deeply the first time I heard it several years ago. It touched my heart again yesterday, convicting me that I am not desperate enough or passionate enough for the lives of those I love. I am not passionate enough for Jesus. I encourage you to listen to it. Keep track of how his message makes your heart feel.

Will this message be YOUR call to anguish?

We are called to love God and love one another (Mark 12:30-31). May the anguish Jesus went through for us drive us forward in our faith and our convictions. To God be the glory!

A Call To Anguish - David Wilkerson

No comments:

Post a Comment