Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Shot of Hope

That's the needle angling down on the left, just about to touch the bone.
I had an ultrasound yesterday. Yeah, that's right - an ultrasound. No . . . . I am NOT pregnant! But I DID feel a "contraction" when the doctor shoved the needle into my shoulder.

I had a shot of cortisone in my shoulder yesterday - the first step in what hopefully be the restoring of my shoulder to full operating condition. The doctor said, "It will hurt later on after the injection. Yeah, he was right. Why do we put up with all of the pain we experience in life? I think it's in hopes that things will get better. Doctors can fix SOME things, but they can't fix everything.

Where would we be without hope? If we had nothing to look forward to, what point is there in continuing on and going through all the pain life offers?

Many choose to opt out of life rather than go through any more pain. Why? Do they have no hope? If hope if the answer, where do we get it? It must be available somewhere to justify a word in our language. Where do we get the hope we need to help us get through the pain?

I have a  friend at work who told me a few years ago about her best friend Julie who had cancer. Her friend placed all of her hope in her doctors. She placed no hope at all in God. Julie is dead now. Doctors can fix SOME things, but they can't fix everything. If she died without Jesus by her side there is truly no hope for her.

Jesus has proven that death has no power over Him when God raised him FROM the dead. He has also promised triumph over death to those who believe in Him. If you were about to die, where would you place YOUR hope? In doctors or in Jesus?

Sadly, it is mostly our pride that keeps us from that saving faith in Christ. We refuse to believe because WE think we have it all figured out. We read some book or we came to our own conclusion that He doesn't exist. Well, what if we're wrong like my friend's friend? To die without hope just doesn't make sense.

One way to prove whether He truly exists or not is to ask Him. Many people have come to faith in Christ by simply asking earnestly, "God, if you're real, please reveal yourself to me. Let me know that you are real. I hope . . . that you are."

What we need is a shot of hope in our hearts. The syringe is Jesus and the healing serum in His Holy Spirit. Please, don't die without hope . . . without Jesus.

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains -
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth."
-Psalm 121:1-2

My Life Is In You, Lord
I Have This Hope - Tenth Avenue North
This Blessed Hope -  Pastor Jack Hibbs & Amir Tsarfati

No comments:

Post a Comment