Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Who Done It?

What does a late 50's black and white television show about a private detective have to do with a 21st century example of a successful marriage? Plenty!

Before I give you the answer to that opening question I'd like you to read a portion of Ephesians 5 for me and keep it in mind as you continue to read.

"Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." - Ephesians 5:1-2 & 21

Some read those verses and think about a husband and wife submitting to one another in the bedroom. It goes much deeper than that. When I read that verse about submitting to one another it's about sacrifice. Sacrificing our personal desires for the sake of something bigger. Enter Peter Gunn.

When my wife and I eat dinner it is usually in the living room watching television. Television and I don't play well together. Most of the shows my wife watches I'd just as soon pass by. Cooking shows, Good Morning America, Hallmark movies - you get the picture.

One thing I have discovered though is this: My wife and I both enjoy a good mystery. That's one type of TV show we can sit down and watch together. This past fall we were watching Perry Mason. Now it's Peter Gunn. Before those shows it was Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Homes. See the pattern?

We have found something we like to do together and we do it. Intentionally. I personally would rather turn off he television while my wife would love to sit and watch The Sound of Music all night long. But we have found some common ground . . . in Peter Gunn.

The theme song for the show is now sung around the house - a reminder of us doing something . . . together. As relationships age people can sometimes grow apart. Successful marriages are those that find a way to stay together even though interests change. Often, by sacrificing and submitting to the other's desires, we can actually grow closer to one another. Pretty good advice from Paul!

How is your relationship with Jesus going? Is it thriving? Or are you and Jesus growing apart? If you are feeling distant from Him, take some steps to get closer. We are always the ones who stray, not Him. Relationships take work!

Do you like to read? Read the Bible! Do you like to sing? Sing hymns of praise! How high can your love for Jesus grow if you nurture it and feed it and water it and care for it? Well, how high is the moon?

How High The Moon - Lola Albright (from the Peter Gunn TV show)
Peter Gunn Theme - Henry Mancini

No comments:

Post a Comment