Monday, April 9, 2018

Self-Diagnosis

I woke up in the middle of the night last night. My back was hurting so badly that the pain itself had woken me up. As I began trying to find a pain-free position in which to sleep, I began to think, "What could have caused all this pain?" I began going through all the activities of my day - at 1:30 AM - until I finally figured it out.

Two days earlier my wife and I were rearranging the living room furniture. We took great care not to lift anything too heavy but . . . there was this one chair. I must have strained something in my back. At least that's the way I am looking at it - self-diagnosis by Doctor Bob.

Do you try figuring out why you feel a certain way on any particular day? I do. Like, "Why am I feeling so depressed?" I remain depressed until I can figure out why. Then it's just a matter of addressing the situation and I begin to feel better almost immediately.

My faith is the same way.  There are times I feel distant from God. Why do we feel that way? He's everywhere! What steps can we take to remedy the situation? It may be over simplified but, when I am feeling distant from God, I try to get closer.

It's just like our earthly relationships. When I feel distant from my best friend I give her a call, send her a text or stop in for a visit. We can do the same thing with God. We can pray, we can read His Word, The Bible. And we can worship.

We can also serve others. That's another form of worship.

Since retiring I have had more time to read. That has been good. My prayer time has decreased though. That's NOT good. That's probably why I feel a little out of sorts these days. It's not JUST my back.

Do you spend enough time cultivating and nurturing your relationships? I think I need to do more in that area. I must be intentional about it. I must make an effort. Too many relationships are lost because of our inattentiveness.

Reach out to someone you love today who has become distant. I would be willing to bet that you will feel better in no time.

"12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." - Colossians 3:12-17

You've Got A Friend - James Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment