Saturday, April 14, 2018

The Final Fight

I was sitting in the living room watching Ben Hur the other day when I was interrupted by a sound. It was the sound of something we usually experience rather than hear, but I got to experience BOTH on that day. It was the sound . . . of love.

Knock, knock, knock!

Someone was at my door. There was a lady standing outside our garage, knocking at the door! Alright, who is this lady? And what did she want?

So I bolted out of my chair and went out into the garage. The opening of the door revealed a somewhat familiar face but I couldn't place it. Then I saw the lady's husband climb out of their car. He looked familiar too! Hmm.

Turns out I had seen them both a month ago at the local home show. They were interested in the tiny home I am building for the homeless and the plans we had for a tiny home village.

So I gave them a tour of the tiny home. That took two minutes. LOL! Then we talked a bit and I walked them back to their car. I thanked them for coming out and gave each of them a hug. Why? Because of what the lady said.

"We're trying to understand what God wants us to do to help you in your efforts."

What?

There are lots of negative headlines in the news these days. Lots of pain and suffering in our world too. It seems rare when people want to help one another . . . love one another. It's unexpected when it should be the norm.

The sound I had heard that day was more than just a knock. It was the sound of love. Someone wanting to help someone else. So much so that they had piled into their car and traveled a distance to display it.

"7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." - 1 John 4:7-12


Who will you show love to today?

Love is the final fight. - John B. Perkins

The Sound - Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment