Monday, May 21, 2018

When Doves Cry

This is how it begins. This is how a story starts. Sparked by a sermon, a Bible verse, a song or a life experience. Somehow it just pops into my head and I start writing. In today's case the story comes from a rather unusual place - a song by Prince.

I was watching a video of a young man yesterday. It just came up while I was searching for something else. The young man is literally a one-man-band. He does it all - percussion, background vocals, orchestra. He does it with his God-given ability - his voice. It was amazing.

As I watched the young man perform I was struck by something. The amazing creative ability of God. He too is a one-man-band and He can also create some amazing things - mountains, stars, planets, animals, people. The list alone seems endless but then you add in emotions like anger, love and bravery and top that all off with talents and gifts and abilities of various kinds and you have a wonderfully diverse creation that screams "God is without peer, without equal and without description."

And then I looked at the lyrics. Here's the first part of the song's chorus:

How could you just leave me standing?
Alone in a world so cold? (world so cold)
Maybe I'm just too demanding
Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold


Add in Prince's favorite color purple and one could easily see the image of Christ, crying out to His Father in heaven from the cross.

"My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" - Matthew 27:46. In other words, How could you leave me?" But Jesus wasn't really asking God a question. He was quoting scripture!

"22 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?" - Psalm 22:1

And Jesus too was alone - Alone in a world so cold. The lyric reminded me of how Christ WAS left alone to die - taking the punishment for OUR sins.. His disciples had abandoned Him.

Was Jesus too demanding, asking His Father that question? Maybe. But Jesus went through it willingly. For us.

God's Holy Spirit is represented by a dove in the Bible. A dove was there when Jesus was baptized.

"and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." - Luke 3:22

So, what does it sound like when doves cry? When the Holy Spirit cries? I think it sounds a lot like a thunderstorm or . . . an earthquake. Too bold? I think not.

"51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split" - Matthew 27:51

This story was sparked by the lyrics in a song. What sparks conversations about God in YOUR life? What causes you to think about Him? I think our answer to that question should be . . . everything.

When Doves Cry - Sam Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment