Monday, June 4, 2018

Adaptable

I can never predict where the inspiration for my stories come from. Last time it came from friends. Today it came from one of my dad's screwdrivers. Yeah, I know. Weird. I don't question. I just write.

This screw driver, which I lovingly call Bumblebee, is wider than the average screwdriver. Why? Because it has storage for 12 different kinds of bits inside. It's adaptable for whatever kind of nuts or loose screws it comes across. And so should WE be.

The Apostle Paul was adaptable. He became "all things" to all people so he could share the Gospel with others, that they might receive it no matter who they were.

"19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

When I am having a conversation with someone that I don't know I will often ask questions of them. "So, tell me about your faith. What has your spiritual journey been like?"

Eventually, I will attain enough information about that person to ask them some better, more direct questions.

"Wow. It's tough when someone hurts you like that. Wouldn't it be great if people were more loving and truthful? Where do you find truth?"

Paul learned who his audience was and then adjusted his presentation of the Gospel to meet their needs. Do we do that? When we're talking with someone who is struggling do we tell them we will pray for them? Or do we put our arm around them and pray for them right then and there?

This world is short on love and way too long on trouble. We need to do more loving than talking. And by loving I mean caring. Investing in someone's life without thought of getting paid back. Do it! Why? Because Jesus did the same thing for us.

I encourage you to invest some of your time getting to know someone. Get to know someone. Give love. ANd give sacrificially. You will get so much more in return.

The following is a scene from one of my favorite movies. It is about a teacher who demonstrated that she cared for her students. In the video the teacher is about to receive in return what she so freely gave. Grab a Kleenex.

The best teachers are those who adapt their teaching style to suit the students in order that the students actually learn. If we just go through the motions in our relationships what good are we? Invest, adapt, change, succeed.

We were commanded to "spread the Gospel to all nations." Effectively, truthfully and in love. We must become the best of teachers. The kind that gains the respect of students and our Father in heaven. Then, and only then, can we best deliver God's message of love, grace and forgiveness.

Freedom Writers Best Scene

No comments:

Post a Comment