Saturday, July 7, 2018

Can't Handle It?

Have you ever heard someone say, "God won't give you more than you can't handle"? Guess what? It's a lie. There is no Bible verse saying that and there is no truth in that statement. In fact, God WILL give you WAY more than you can handle. For a reason.

I don't know where that phrase ever came from. Probably, in our political correctness - wanting everyone to feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves - we come up with sayings that sound good on the surface but are factually incorrect.

There is a Bible verse that comes close to what the "God won't give you more than you can handle" crowd, but it's the opposite of what these people are trying to say.

"13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

This verse is about temptation though, not life's struggles. It also says that God is faithful and He will provide a way out of that temptation. God is faithful alright. He also will provide a way out of our struggles. We need to run to Him. We need to bring our struggles to the foot of the cross and leave them there. When we can't handle life, God can.

Actually, the saying that is most true is this:

"God won't give you anything that HE can't handle."

Yes, we have to go through struggles in our lives. Everybody does. But the ones that get through them with the most ease are those who let God do the heavy lifting.

We go through life totally focused on ourselves. That's our first and biggest problem. Our most important relationship in this life should be with God, not a husband, a wife, a child or a best friend. If we place God first in our lives our struggles begin to get smaller, the pain is suddenly easier to bear.

King David had the right idea. When he was being pursued, when people sought to kill him, he placed his hope and faith in God. 

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; 3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior - from violent people you save me. 4 “I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies. 5 The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me." - 2 Samuel 2-5

Place your hope in The Lord. He is our "ever-present help in times of trouble" (Psalm 46:1).

All My Hope - Crowder (featuring Tauren Wells)

No comments:

Post a Comment