Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Parable of The Tiny Home

Today my tiny home will be in the Fourth of July Parade in Waupaca. It almost wasn't. Why? Because I was looking at things through MY eyes, not God's. Let me explain.

For several years now I have had a desire to build a tiny home, but it's not for me. It's for others to use who might have need of shelter. A home for a homeless family perhaps or a family whose house just burned down. That's not the story here though. The story is about God - His teaching, His protection and His love.

A few days ago I called my insurance agent checking one my coverage for when we would be taking the tiny home on the road for the parade. She checked and her company determined that my $10,000 investment (so far) would only be covered up to $1500 under my home owner's policy. What!?!

My friend Mark called later to arrange a time to pick up the tiny house for the parade. I told him the story about the lack of insurance and that the tiny home would most likely not be making the trip. I called the Chair of our non-profit, Hub Ministries, Inc. and told her the same sad story. Everyone understood. Everyone but God I think.

Two nights ago I went to bed believing that there would be no tiny home in the July 4th parade. I woke up feeling the same way. Maybe someone would come through with some insurance, maybe . . . Then I picked up my Bible and began to read. I was in Isaiah 40, reading through the Bible. This is what I read.

"28 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."
- Isaiah 40:29-31 

As soon as I read that I knew that the tiny home was going to be in the parade. Insurance or no insurance. Why? Because this house I am building is not MY house. It's God's house! Where was my faith? Where was my trust? It was in myself, and my insurance, not God.

The tiny house that is being built for those in need in our community does not belong to anyone except God. He has chosen a few people to build it. He has directed us to form a non-profit, not for our glory but for His. Our job is to build and be obedient, not to build and be fearful.

So, if you see us in the July 4th parade, please, give God the thanks and the praise. It is HIS house, not ours. And it will be passing before your very eyes.



God Bless The USA - Lee Greenwood

No comments:

Post a Comment