Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Still

There are moments when everything is quiet in our neighborhood. The time is 5:38 AM. A cool breeze is tumbling in the trough the open window beside me. All is still. Nothing is moving except my fingers on the keyboard and ey aren't moving too fast.

Moments like this are from God I think. Pauses in the hectic pace that life demands from us. What do we do with them? Some people can't stand the quiet and they put on some music or a television show. They are the foolish ones. I should talk though. I'm sitting here typing on my laptop. But did you ever just sit and listen? What is it that you hear?

The sound of a distant piece of farm machinery, an irrigation pump I think. An occasional car on the highway - a mile away from me. The refrigerator kicks in, doing it's thing. But do you ever hear God in the quiet of the morning?

It's 5:45 now and I am opening my Bible. As I am reading I am listening. Not with my ears but with my heart. My ears only provide background music. Another car on the highway, a distant bird singing. This is what I read.

"This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.
Then the word of the Lord came to me. He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel." - Jeremiah 18:1-6
Each of us are broken pots of clay in some way. God is the potter. Who is He making us into today?  Who is God making YOU into? Are you going through something today that has you questioning life? Is life really worth all this pain? We need to change our point of view. Remember, we are the clay. God is the potter.
The stuff we are going to right now is making us into something - something better, for God's purpose and His glory. Be willing to be molded and shaped.
In The Secret - Sonic Flood
The Potter's Hand - Darlene Zschech

No comments:

Post a Comment