Monday, December 10, 2012

Stillness

There is snow falling as I am writing this little story. It’s rather peaceful and beautiful outside. The snow is nestling in on the tree branches for the night and there is absolutely no wind at all. The only thing that would make this winter scene more beautiful right now would be a crackling fire in the fireplace and a team of Clydesdales pulling a sleigh down the street. I can almost hear those sleigh bells a jinglin’!
Snow is cool. No two flakes are exactly alike you know! And snow makes absolutely no sound when it falls to the ground. However, if the temperature was JUST a little warmer, we’d be hearing the snow falling for sure - as rain, or ice! This snow tonight though is being rather stealthy.
Certain events in our lives can be pretty sneaky too. Grey hair is one example. Tell me about it! Checking account balances. Where did all of my money go!? And how about the bathroom scales. They can be rather surprising as well. 184?? No way!!
When Elijah heard God speaking to him on the mountain, God was also being pretty stealthy, speaking in a whisper, a still, small voice - “a sound of soft stillness.”
I have heard God speaking this way to me several times this past year. I have heard His whisper on the lips of people standing in line at the local food pantry. I have heard His soft stillness, while listening to an abused teen crying on the phone. I have heard His still, small voice, while comforting grieving kids after one of their friends died. God DOES speak to those who have ears to hear. All we have to do is listen.
The world we live in speaks in a VERY loud voice. It is often difficult to hear God speaking to us amidst the din of Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the throngs of people at your local mall.
2000 years ago God spoke to the deaf ears of a fallen world when He sent His Son to save us. During his three year ministry, Jesus would say and do things this world had never known or seen. Think about that. God was actually with us, in the flesh! Not since the Garden of Eden had He physically been with His people in such a way. The birth of Jesus was the biggest event of all time and it began with a whisper - in a manger.
Slowly though, word of this baby began to spread – a child that was given to us. Jesus, the “bread of life” as he was called (John 6:35), was to be our spiritual food supply. Unless we “eat of His flesh and drink of His blood” we have no part of Him. And God, in His divine and masterful way, had his Son, the food we must partake of for eternal life, brought to us in . . . a manger – a FEEDING trough. In the little town of Bethlehem. And the name Bethlehem literally means "House of Bread." Are you kidding me? Is anyone else amazed by the planning of that?
As a father, I find myself particularly struck by the birth of such a special baby – our Heavenly Father’s one and only son. My wife and I have been blessed with two wonderful children and now OUR one and only son and his wife have blessed us with our first grandchild – their one and only son. He came a few weeks early but mom and dad didn’t seem to mind. Neither did my wife and I as we hurried home from our trip to Michigan a few days early. Speaking of which . . .
My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary with a trip to Mackinac Island and Lower Michigan. This trip was a wonderful chance for us to get away from it all and to celebrate all of our years together.
Our daughter will be finishing the last of her student teaching this January and then will be actively seeking a position as a full-time teacher. Most likely see will be searching for her new job in the Mauston/Wisconsin Dells area due to the recent appearance this year of a young man in our daughter's life. They seem quite happy together. This new face has already met my wife's side of the family and passed muster. The only test that remains is my side of the family.
How blessed we have been as a family!
God is so good! There is not a day that goes by that I don’t thank him for all he has provided for me and my family. If you don’t have a personal relationship with Jesus, PLEASE ask for that today. Don’t let God’s still, small voice be silenced in YOUR life. Surrender your heart to Him and allow Him be Lord of your life. It’s the best decision I ever made. Please, let it be yours.

God Speakling - Mandisa

1 comment:

  1. God is a indeed a good God. Even though sometimes He seems so far away based on our current circumstances yet if we are going to be fair, we still have to say He is a good God

    ReplyDelete