Wednesday, October 9, 2013

View

Have you ever watched that TV show called "The View"? I haven't. I'm not sure why but, having never watched it at all, I feel kind of good about that. From what I gather there's a bunch of ladies who sit around and talk about things. Sounds like where I work. Ha! I guess the show's not all that bad. We ALL do that. We all like to talk about our lives, offering our expert opinions on everything from the best burger joint in town to weightier things like abortion or the national budget.

Recently, while I was listening to a radio talk show, I heard something that made me think. It made me want to write this particular blog post actually - which is basically my own low-tech version of The View. And instead of four or five highly-paid female TV stars you get me, an old aging man who can't type.

The guest on the show I was listening to asked the question, "How do we VIEW life? Do we view the events of this world through our own eyes? Or do we view things through a biblical lens?" Then they went on to suggest that we should view ALL circumstances from a "how can I use this to glorify God" point of view. I though that was really interesting. And I agree 100%.

Have you ever tried that? Have you tried going through an entire day, honoring God in everything you say and do? It ain't easy, but once you actually get going it's actually kind of fun and it really helps me keep my focus on God. Remember . . . EVERYTHING for God.

I needed gas for my car this morning so I stopped at the local gas station. Although I usually pay at the pump, with this new "view" of doing everything for God's glory, I thought I'd actually go inside and interact with some people . . . for Him. And so I did.

"Good morning!" I whispered as I held the door open for some random guy who was talking on his cellphone. I smiled at everyone and established eye contact with as many as I could. It was easy! Of course, people thought I was weird but still.

There is one word of advice though. If you try this at a gas station, stay away from the coffee dispenser area. Talking, or even looking at people who have not had their coffee yet can be extremely dangerous!

Interaction at the local gas station is one thing. There are other more faith-stretching and important opportunities awaiting you to be a witness for Christ. Like showing up when someone is hurting. By giving of yourself and your time to ease the pain and suffering of someone else. This is a gift that not many have but some go way above and beyond when they go about placing other first.

Have you ever heard stories of someone needing a kidney and then a relative or friend gives them one of their own to help save a life? The following is a link to a video about such an occurrence.

Father Donates Kidney to Daughter

Have you ever gone to the hospital to visit someone? Or maybe you're going in to have a procedure done. Have you ever looked at events like that, an illness or accident, through God's eyes? Why are you visiting someone? Is it to bring them joy? To make them feel better? Or is it to make YOU feel better? Is it simply to bring them a smile and that's it? Have you ever though about doing more while you are there? More for God?

Pray with them. Maybe ask the nurse or doctor if there is anything you can pray for, for them.

I know a couple whose son was in the hospital to have a dangerous, hopefully life-saving surgery. It literally was life or death. The parents were both Christians. Doctors were surprised by their lack of fear about the surgery and commented to them, "Aren't you afraid for your son?"

"No," they replied. "Everything is in God's hands." And then they smiled at the doctor. That was an incredibly powerful witness. The power of our God was on display that day in the faith of those parents. The doctors & nurses all saw it and it made an impression on them.

We need to get into the habit of asking ourselves "Okay, what can I do for God in this situation? How can I impact someones life for Christ?"

When we are standing in line at the grocery store. Are we there simply to check out and get on our way? Or are we there to speak into the life of the bagger, or the checker? Or maybe the person behind us in line. God called us to be His children for a reason. We should be a little more attentive than we usually are.

Most people go to the restaurant to eat a meal. Is that it? Or do we speak to the waitress about the true meaning of service and ask her if there is anything he or she might need prayer for? We need to view the every situation from a different perspective . . . and focus the conversation on Jesus.

When you are about to have cancer surgery, soon to begin the chemo treatments, it's not as easy to do. It may be easier, I don;t really know. But to be a witness for Christ when we are suffering is exceptionally powerful.

Have you read about Paul and Silas when they were thrown into prison? How did they handle that situation for Christ? What did they do? Did they complain about the food? Did they soend their time trying to escape? Nope. You will be amazed.

"22 The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten with rods. 23 After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. 24 When he received these orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks."

Not the best of situations to be sure. Stripped, beaten with rods, thrown into prison, in an inner cell no less, with their feet locked so they could not even move. So what did they do? Ready for this?

"25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them." - Acts 16:22-25

Wow! After all they had been through, they were singing! And what happened after that?

"30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” - Acts 16:30

My friends, we may never know how God will use our words or our deeds. May we never be hesitant to tell others the joy we have found in Christ. Let us sing His praises in ALL situations. So that no one can deny that we are His. May our view of this world always be through God's eyes.

His Eye Is On The Sparrow by Lauryn Hill and Tanya Blount

This post is dedicated to my dear friend Ali. Stay strong and be a light unto this world. I love you, my friend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment