Saturday, November 16, 2013

Anger

There's not much that makes me angry anymore. Not since I made Jesus Lord of my life anyway. I get frustrated to be sure. Just turn on the news and you'll probably get frustrated too! Anger is a different emotion all together.

I remember punching Jimmy Fosbinder in the face once back in sixth grade. Does that count? Nah. That was just stupid kid stuff. The anger was okay to feel. I had been wronged. But the punching someone in the face part . . . yeah, that was stupid.

I'm really a pretty easy going guy . . . I guess. Although there have been a few times, since I have become a believer, that I have gotten a little mad at someone. Twice in eight years. That's not too bad is it?

Anger is an emotion. It's not one of the more politically correct, user-friendly emotions out there but it IS an emotion, given to us by God.

Most people think anger is bad but I'm not one of them. Like I said, anger is simply an emotion. What we DO with that anger . . . well, that's another story.

I don't know about you but I DO take some comfort in knowing that God Himself gets angry.

"9 The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. 10 Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the Lord’s command." - 1 Kings 11:9-10

Like Father, like Son . . .

"4 Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent. 5 He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts," - Mark 3:4-5

As I was scrolling down through the posts on Facebook recently, I saw a post by one of my friends. After reading it and thinking about it I decided I didn't like his words very much and I began to get a little upset. I'll let you read it and see if you don't feel the same way.

"Every time I listen to Jeremy Camp's "Jesus Saves" song, I sing along but replace "saves" with "shaves" so while the song plays I keep having this image of clean shaven Jesus...he's got such a little baby face in my mind."

Some might say, "That's not so bad, Bob." I would reply with this. Is the post indignant? Is it irreverent? I think it is. To further explain where I am going with this I would like to offer you a word definition from the 1828 Webster Dictionary and I would like you to consider . . . Does this word fit the Facebook post?

BLAS''PHEMY, n. An indignity offered to God by words or writing; reproachful, contemptuous or irreverent words uttered impiously against Jehovah. Blasphemy is an injury offered to God, by denying that which is due and belonging to him, or attributing to him that which is not agreeable to his nature.

In Hebrew culture, when one is in mourning for the sins they have committed, they were to do the following:

"Therefore in that day the Lord God of hosts called you to weeping, to wailing, to shaving the head and to wearing sackcloth." - Isaiah 22:12

I don't think Jesus would have ever shaved his head or beard in mourning for his sins . . . because He never committed any!! I know my friend probably wasn't thinking about what he was typing. I have made similar mistakes with the pen. But my friend is a youth pastor and really should watch what he says. Little pitchers have big ears.

This world, this country, has lost it's fear of God. It has turned it's back on the very God who created us in the first place. Scroll down through the Facebook posts and look at all of the OMG's. It has become a way of life . . . acceptable practice to use the name of the Lord, our God, in vain (3rd commandment). Even as a curse word! The only time we should be using the name Jesus Christ is when we are reading, praying, worshipping or evangelizing.

I know we live in America, where we have freedom of speech, but having that freedom does not excuse us from using it to the detriment of others, especially our God and King, Jesus. He deserves the highest amount of respect we can muster, and then, WAY more than even our tiny brains can offer. To use him as a punch-line of sorts disgusts me.

And so I will leave you with a description of Jesus. Not the baby-faced Jesus, or the pristine Jesus with the curly hair that hangs on a cross in so many of our churches today. Remember, He was beaten and bruised and He was, and is, a God who gets angry.

"11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: King of Kings and Lord of Lords." - Revelation 19:11-16

That's my Jesus.

I get upset when people talk about God in demeaning ways. I get angry when people, and churches, put words in His mouth or "interpret" scriptures to line up with some political agenda. God's Word is God's Word.

"2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you." - Deuteronomy 4:2

We as a people need to show more respect for the God of the Universe. We need to get to the point where we tremble at the very mention of His Holy name. I encourage you to take a step today to correct someone when you hear them use the name of God in vain. Loving talk to someone who is making fun of our King. Our God is a very loving, patient God but He does get angry from time to time. We, as His children, must NEVER give Him a reason to do so.

Sissified, needy Jesus by Voddie Baucham

No comments:

Post a Comment