Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Coming

Last week my wife and I were watching the weather. Our local weatherman, who has been officially certified by the National Weather Service and has gone to college (I assume) and has theoretically been trained in the magical arts of weather forecasting, stated that we were going to be getting 4" of snow the following day. He stated it with such confidence too. I actually believed him! Well, he lied. We received absolutely nothing.

I was grateful for the lack of snow though, not having to snow blow the driveway & shovel the sidewalk. But I was a little disappointed in the weatherman. He is supposed to know his stuff and, when his prediction failed to come true, I was a little let down. His forecast had prompted me to jump through all kinds of preparedness hoops, getting ready for "the big storm!" The storm that never came.

Oh well. It's better to be safe than sorry, right? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Into each life a little rain must fall. What other words of cliché's can I offer up? How about . . . Never trust a weatherman!!

My last blog about Rabbi Yitzhak Kaduri got me thinking about predictions and preparedness. Kaduri's words had stated that he had seen Jesus in a vision and that he was told by Jesus that He would return shortly after Ariel Sharon's death. When Sharon died this past weekend I took notice. I'm not sure about Kaduri's prediction. He prediction success rate may be worse than our weatherman's for all I know. Is the return of Jesus imminent? And regardless of when Jesus returns, am I prepared for His coming? Are those I love prepared?

Last night at small group we talked a little about being prepared, about taking the initiative and speaking into the lives of those around us about Jesus. It's a big step . . . something we are all intimidated and afraid to do. But if we are afraid, are we truly prepared for what is to come? We should be standing is full assurance of our salvation yet, for some reason, we are afraid to speak out.

Jesus says in His Word, "38 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” - Mark 8:38

Ouch!

I need to be thinking a little bit more about Jesus' imminent return and a little less about my "impression" in a world that doesn't really care about it. I need to spend more time preparing myself spiritually by spending more time in God's Word and by offering encouragement to others who are walking the same walk as I am, seeking God's will. I know my salvation is secure but I want Jesus to smile at me when He sees me. I want Him to be proud. :)

A couple of nights ago out illustrious weatherman predicted another snow storm. We were going to get a half a foot of snow, or so he said. So what did I do? I prepared my self for the coming storm, just like I did for the last one. Regardless of whether the storm actually came of not, I was prepared. So should it be for me with respect to the pending return of our King. We must be ready.

So? Did the weatherman's prediction come true? When I awoke yesterday morning there was no more snow than there was the night before. Still, I took my boots, I took a blanket. I brought TWO frozen dinners AND a breakfast, just in case I needed them. I even threw a snow shovel in the back seat.

And the storm? We got nine inches of the white stuff dumped on us during the day. Forty mile an hour winds made the roads nearly impassable. I left work early, hoping to make it home before dark. I passed a jack-knifed semi along the way. It took me two tries to get up the hill into our subdivision because the roads had yet to be plowed. But I made it home. I was prepared for the predicted storm that we received.

My friends, we MUST prepare ourselves for the coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. We must reach out in love to ALL who don't know Him, and even those who say they do, just in case they really don't. We must love ALL who are hurting and in need of a savior - friend and enemy alike. Jesus died for all, not a select few.

So "let every heart prepare Him room." Prepare today as if He is coming tomorrow . . . because one day, He will be.

Joy to The World flash mob

No comments:

Post a Comment