Monday, February 10, 2014

Payday

Everyone loves payday. No, not the candybar, when we get rewarded for a job well done. It feels good to work hard and get paid for it. It's even better to work hard at something we really enjoy and then have people give us money for doing what we love!

Look at professional athletes for example. They get paid millions of dollars for just playing games!! It doesn't get much better than that!!! Musicians are another example. They really love to play their instruments and, to them, getting paid is actually a bonus. That's cool!

Do you love your job? Or maybe this would be a better question to ask . . . Do you love your job enough that you would do it for free? Oooo. That's a little bit tough! We all need money for house payments and car payments and food and heat and electricity. We all need to make SOME money!

If money was no object and you didn't have to worry about bills or food or taxes, what would you do? Would you still be content washing dishes or fixing cars? Would you still do what you are doing now? My guess is that many of us would say no. We would rather be doing something else.

So what do you LIKE to do? Do you like to write like me? Maybe you like to draw or play guitar. Maybe you like to sew or to build things. Maybe it's playing video games or surfing the Internet. Would you be able do what you like for 40 hours a week? If you could, would you?

One of the things I like doing most is talking about Jesus. I like to write about Him too. That is the whole purpose of this blog. But what do YOU like to do? What gifts and talents has God given you?

There is a lady where I work who likes to draw, yet she spends all of her time typing specifications and letters. Boring!! She has given up the enjoyment she finds in drawing things for other pursuits. That, to me, is sad. Yes she needs to pay the bills but I also thing she is missing out on some real enjoyment by setting aside one of her passions, one of the abilities that God has gifted her with.

This past weekend I was gifted with three opportunities to use what God has gifted ME with - compassion and exhortation - and let me tell you, I have never felt more blessed or more used in my life!

There is great satisfaction to be found in using our gifts and talents for God's glory. There is nothing quite like serving a loving King selflessly, without thought of payment. It is during times like those that we often receive our biggest paychecks.

A lady once came up to me at church and told me how she appreciated what I was doing by speaking into her son's life - listening to her son's struggles and offering advice. That meant a lot to her and made me feel good inside. After the conversation with this kid's mom ended I leaned over to a nearby friend and said, "I just got paid."

Payday for me comes in the knowledge that I have served someone and done so in a God-honoring way. I do not seek any "payday" but I know that God blesses His children in ways that are priceless. As one of my friends at another church says, "The pay sucks but the benefits are out of this world!"

Ain't that the truth!

This week I encourage you to examine your gifts, the ones given to you by God. He gave them to you for a reason. He gave them to you so you could use them, for His glory. Honor Him in all that you do and you will be surprised at the size of your paycheck. It will be heavenly for sure!!!

"23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." - Colossians 3:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment